How far have you come? > From: N+1 Got my brompton this afternoon

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
[Originally blogged on CC: 02 November 2011]

Well that was an experience.

The Brompton is now an 8-speed but isn't entirely finished though I've done a shakedown/test ride of about 5 miles and all seems ok.

Fitting the kit was pretty straightforward though with hindsight I'd change the order I did it in if doing it again.
  • Tyre down, stock wheel and chain tensioner off, tyre tube and rim tape off wheel
  • Transfer Rim tape tube and tyre onto new wheel leave flat so it passes through the brakes
  • Rear wheel slots in with some gentle easing of the rear triangle
  • Brompton chainset and pedals off and SA kit chainset popped on with spare pair of SPD's.
  • Then I fitted the chain tensioner, using the stock single speed chain it fits perfectly, however I should have left this step until later.
  • Cut grips off; shifter and ergon GC2 grips/bar ends, brake levers shifted slightly inboard to accommodate. Stem folded/unfolded several times to ensure fold not affected. Note: the stock brake levers are dreadful and will be replaced on pay day with some Shimano ones or possibly bar end levers (which I have spare if they can go one without affecting fold but would need new cables).
  • Gear cable outer fitted, at which point it became apparent the outer cable was far too long for an S type. Ploughed on regardless on basis I can find out correct(ish) cable length and replace later. (I need to use the bike Tuesday)
  • Gear cable nipple bolted onto cable and cable cut to length; then it became obvious that the chain tensioner would have to come off to connect the cable to the hub. Drat.
  • Inevitably putting the chain tensioner back on involved a spot of cussing as it went straight on first time! May bling the chain at some point and will add an SRAM quick link and one more link if I do.
  • Koolstop pads slipped in in place of Fibrax originals
  • Faffed about for 10 mins getting the little yellow line in the middle of the window.
Before
IMG-20111029-00186.jpg

After
IMG-20111029-00191.jpg

Top Bottom