How long is "too" long?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

burlingo

Hello.

Just over a month ago my beloved specialized allez was stolen. Since then, I have been looking almost daily on eBay, Gumtree etc. for my bike/components. Nothing has come up unfortunately...

Anyway, I was wondering, how long would you look for your bike if it were stolen? I'd love to see it again, but I feel like looking for it constantly is driving me slightly insane. I even scan bike racks that I walk/cycle past just in case.

When can I expect to be "normal" again?

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
I found my bike months after it had gone missing - it was high value and had gone underground. Police didn't help with it so two bikes of mind went and got sold after being stolen.

If it's feeling torturous then you need to find a way to move on as it doesn't sound like ebay/gumtree are useful to you.

I feel for you, it's horrible having that sinking feeling when you go to your bike and see it's gone.

OP
OP
B

burlingo

ha, thanks for the replies!

What are Google alerts, Lard?

I have alerts set up on eBay and gumtree for anything that fits the description of my bike. But how will Google be able to help?

Cheers.

EpicFishFingers

Sadly I also recently had my bike stolen (about a few weeks ago now, here's the thread I posted here)and have been doing the same thing as you.
Advertise it on gumtree as stolen and offer a handsome reward. The thief might be stupid enough to phone up and claim the reward (offer more than any thief would think to sell it for). I haven't had any luck yet, but to continue its legacy, I'm looking at buying the 2011 model of my bike, and two ****-off great locks for it too :smile:

EDIT: Nonetheless, don't give up. Thieves will either: a) immediately sell a valuable or 'hot' bike or b) hold it safe for several months until they think it's safe to sell. Just a tip :smile:

porteous

Veteran
I waited 42 years. Thought the the memory of the bike faded to nothing until, 30 years later, I started to remember it from time to time and realise how much I missed it. Eventually got so bothered I tracked down original bits and built not one but two replicas using original and new parts. The result is that I get a huge kick out of having "my" bike back in spirit, combined with a wonderfully nostalgic ride.

NEVER give up hope of seeing it again.

PS I found the b**ta*d that stole my bike three years after he had stripped it and sold the parts. I was young, fit and foolish. You don't want to know the rest!

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
I waited 42 years. Thought the the memory of the bike faded to nothing until, 30 years later, I started to remember it from time to time and realise how much I missed it. Eventually got so bothered I tracked down original bits and built not one but two replicas using original and new parts. The result is that I get a huge kick out of having "my" bike back in spirit, combined with a wonderfully nostalgic ride.

NEVER give up hope of seeing it again.

PS I found the b**ta*d thqt stole my bike three years after he had stripped it and sold the parts. I was young, fit and foolish. You don't want to know the rest!

Well ask no questions - as long as the theif got a "d-lock'ing" :smile: