How many gears do i need for the Archway Road, North London

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

thepiman

I'm considering buying a Brompton and need to make the difficult compromise between weight and gears. I used to commute in London and found the hills, such as the Archway Road in North London, very doable with the 5 speed Sturmey Archer hub. However, I'm now keen on keeping the weight of the bike as low as possible (due to a back injury, i can't carry a heavy Brompton) and so am considering going as low as 2 gears. Is this enough for North London hills, or will i struggle/find it too limiting. What about crazier hills like Ditchling Beacon. Has anyone done that with a 2 speed Sturmey Archer hub or something similar? I probably will only cycle that once a year, so hardly worth basing my buying decision on it, I'm just curious.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
I'm considering buying a Brompton and need to make the difficult compromise between weight and gears. I used to commute in London and found the hills, such as the Archway Road in North London, very doable with the 5 speed Sturmey Archer hub. However, I'm now keen on keeping the weight of the bike as low as possible (due to a back injury, i can't carry a heavy Brompton) and so am considering going as low as 2 gears. Is this enough for North London hills, or will i struggle/find it too limiting. What about crazier hills like Ditchling Beacon. Has anyone done that with a 2 speed Sturmey Archer hub or something similar? I probably will only cycle that once a year, so hardly worth basing my buying decision on it, I'm just curious.
People ride that on fixed regularly so I can't see why you couldn't. Down to fitness TBH. No shame in 24" you know.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Here's what I'd suggest:
Have a look at this gearing chart, which will give you the bottom gear for various configurations.
https://brompton.zendesk.com/hc/en-...What-are-the-Brompton-gear-ranges-and-ratios-

Figure out what gear on your current bike is equivalent to the bottom gear of some of these.(Go here to work this out) eg. A 3 speed standard has a bottom gear of 47.9" This is equivalent to 34/19 so if you have that setup on your bike see what it feels like riding up the hill. Remember the Brommie is just a bike, so the same gear ratio will feel the same on a Brommie as on another bike.

The sarky answer to your question "how many gears" is "one - a low one". But the bigger point is that if you get reduced gearing just for going up a given hill you will compromise your top gear and end up spinning like mad to maintain a reasonable pace on the flat. So think in terms of gear range. Then figure out how to replicate that range on your current bike. Then go out and ride using that and see how it feels.

I ride an M6L. It's quite a lump to carry around, but remember that if you get EZ Wheels the amount of carrying can be kept to a minimum. With your back problem I'd say that EZ wheels sound like a must. Go to a Brompton dealer and try carrying various models. See what practical difference the different weights make.

You may already know the following but ....

Here's a link to some Brompton weights. https://brompton.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/203296361-How-much-do-Bromptons-weigh-

The Brompton Configurator gives component weights and all-up weights http://www.brompton.com/Buy/Build-your-Brompton

alicat

Legendary Member
My concern with only two gears for general riding is that if they are too close together then they will either make it too hard to get up the hills or you will spin out too quickly down hill.

If they are too far apart then you will always be wishing you had a gear in the middle.

The rear derailleur on my P6R-X was out of action for a while and I found it awkward just having three gears. For me the only way to go is six gears and find a way of lifting/carrying the Brompton when necessary.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
I hardly ever carry my Brompton folded. I lift it on and off trains but the rest of the time I either ride it or push it as a bike. Obviously it depends a bit where you are going but it's so easy to fold & unfold I rather do that to move it even short distances.

Top Bottom