How many [mainly dry] miles for an RS10 to last?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

adamhearn

Veteran
My bike has had Shimano RS10's fitted since new. I've done approx 2800 miles on them and the spokes on the rear have been heard to ping for a few hundred miles or so. The rear is slightly out of true in two places; it's only very slight but nonetheless the wheel is not currently true. I've popped into a couple of shops near where I work to ask about retruing costs and was told by both that the mileage puts them in a consider replacement category. Neither shop saw the wheel so went by my description.

Both provided costs for retruing - one was £18 and the other £25, That was plus parts (one declared spokes would need to be replaced and I know from a quick web search the RS10 spokes are quite expensive [for cheap wheels]) and possibly VAT though can't be certain on that.

Is 2800 miles really a lot? I'm a heavy rider if that changes the responses. The rims don't show signs of brakes surface wear.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
My bike has had Shimano RS10's fitted since new. I've done approx 2800 miles on them and the spokes on the rear have been heard to ping for a few hundred miles or so. The rear is slightly out of true in two places; it's only very slight but nonetheless the wheel is not currently true. I've popped into a couple of shops near where I work to ask about retruing costs and was told by both that the mileage puts them in a consider replacement category. Neither shop saw the wheel so went by my description.

Both provided costs for retruing - one was £18 and the other £25, That was plus parts (one declared spokes would need to be replaced and I know from a quick web search the RS10 spokes are quite expensive [for cheap wheels]) and possibly VAT though can't be certain on that.

Is 2800 miles really a lot? I'm a heavy rider if that changes the responses. The rims don't show signs of brakes surface wear.
I would expect more than that. My stock wheels that came on my Forme road bike did 11,000 miles and never needed touched throughout.

Cyclist33

What does been heard to ping, mean? What is pinging?

OP
OP
A

adamhearn

Veteran
Al I can describe it as is a musical note coming from the rear of the bike every revolution of the wheel. I've checked for spoke to spoke crossovers (there aren't many on this wheel!) and added some lube there just in case.

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
2800 miles is not end of life mileage. I know what you mean about the pinging, it is usually slightly looser spokes moving against another.
I would get them serviced this time round at least.

e-rider

crappy member

I had the slightly cheaper Shimano R501 wheels - both worn out after 3000 miles (rear rim cracked, front spokes broken) - wheels were 13 months old but have a 2 year warranty, however when I tried to claim I was told both wheels were at the end of their natural life (i.e. I'd worn them out) so my claim was unsuccessful - I don't buy Shimano wheels these days - jokers!

potsy

Rambler
I've had around 7000 miles out of a pair and similar on the RS20's and I too am a heavy rider.
2800 doesn't seem much but the cost of repairing things these days hardly seems worth it compared to the price of new wheels.

One of mine had a freehub failure which to fix would have been around half the price of a new wheel, as it had done a few thousand miles anyway I retired it.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
I had the slightly cheaper Shimano R501 wheels - both worn out after 3000 miles (rear rim cracked, front spokes broken) - wheels were 13 months old but have a 2 year warranty, however when I tried to claim I was told both wheels were at the end of their natural life (i.e. I'd worn them out) so my claim was unsuccessful - I don't buy Shimano wheels these days - jokers!

I can echo the above. Had a set of 501's as commuter wheels and the rear one bust a spoke after not all that long. Certainly not thousands of miles on them. Irregular sized spoke nipples meant I couldn't true it on the go, with my spoke key (that's attached to my house keys). Front rim wore down really quickly too, so I don't endorse Shimano wheels :sad:

OP
OP
A

adamhearn

Veteran
Thanks all for your comments. I too felt 2800 miles was a little low.

Took a lengthy walk to pop in to my preferred bike shop (who sold me the bike) to ask about it and they were really helpful. Gave the same info and was told to try a bit of lube at the hub end of the spokes (they are straight pull spokes). To straighten the wheel the quote was a little lower but final cost would depend on what it was really like in person.

I'll try the lube this weekend and report back and get them to tweak it when I drop the wheel in.

Thanks all for your comments. I too felt 2800 miles was a little low.

Took a lengthy walk to pop in to my preferred bike shop (who sold me the bike) to ask about it and they were really helpful. Gave the same info and was told to try a bit of lube at the hub end of the spokes (they are straight pull spokes). To straighten the wheel the quote was a little lower but final cost would depend on what it was really like in person.

I'll try the lube this weekend and report back and get them to tweak it when I drop the wheel in.

So were the planes during 9/11. 2800 miles really is ridiculously low mileage to wear a wheel out. I would expect a wheel to last until either the braking surface has worn thin, or has been damaged through impact.

Top Bottom