How much does rotating wheel weight matter?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
All I understand are the basics of physics; the bigger the wheel, the greater the mass that had to be overcome in accelerating and decelerating.
That's why I can initially get away from the lights on my Brommy quicker than most other cyclists - ! :laugh:

Yep, smaller diameter wheels are also more aerodynamic. The UCI banned them for this amongst other reasons.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Average cyclists can feel the difference and it can have a noticeable effect upon how a bike handles and how much they enjoy riding it for a given course.
I'll agree with this, I'm distinctly average but noticed the difference when I upgraded my wheels from some decent enough fulcrum 5's to some light and aero 38mm carbon jobbies from Zed. And in turn my partner noticed a difference when she inherited the F5s to replaced some stock v heavy bontrager things that came with her bike.

of course its not just rim weight, but lighter is generally faster / easier on hills, the better aero dynamics help maintain speed for less effort, and thus you'll be less tired as a result over a given distance, there are a lot of things going on.

Running with a better (lower rolling resistance) tyre is definitely a cheaper upgrade than new wheels though.

You’ve sold me, my next pair will be super deep.
Super deep obviously has the more pose factor and being a simple lad that will appeal to you, but as you get deeper inevitability you get heaver, but the aero advantage doesn't improve much more , i.e. diminishing returns so its a balancing act where you strike 40mm - 50mm - 60mm which depends a bit on the riding you do - more hilly would suggest not super deep may be more beneficial, but they have a bit less cool as fark factor.

Milzy

Guru
I'll agree with this, I'm distinctly average but noticed the difference when I upgraded my wheels from some decent enough fulcrum 5's to some light and aero 38mm carbon jobbies from Zed. And in turn my partner noticed a difference when she inherited the F5s to replaced some stock v heavy bontrager things that came with her bike.

of course its not just rim weight, but lighter is generally faster / easier on hills, the better aero dynamics help maintain speed for less effort, and thus you'll be less tired as a result over a given distance, there are a lot of things going on.

Running with a better (lower rolling resistance) tyre is definitely a cheaper upgrade than new wheels though.

Super deep obviously has the more pose factor and being a simple lad that will appeal to you, but as you get deeper inevitability you get heaver, but the aero advantage doesn't improve much more , i.e. diminishing returns so its a balancing act where you strike 40mm - 50mm - 60mm which depends a bit on the riding you do - more hilly would suggest not super deep may be more beneficial, but they have a bit less cool as fark factor.

Of course you mean unassuming, humble, wide eyed and innocent by that old chap.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
The rule of thumb for years has been a pound off the wheels is worth 2 pounds off the bike.
*** Safety warning *** If you have a heavyish bike (28 lbs, say), it is not a good idea to try to lose 3 lbs from its wheels rather than losing 6 lbs from the rest of the bike, unless you are a big fan of featherlight wheels folding up beneath you! :laugh:

What's that in kgs?!!
Duh, 0.4536 kg off the wheels, worth 0.9072 kg off the bike. :whistle:

Jameshow

Veteran
Lightweight wheels don't matter, until you mate beats you up the hill, then your searching eBay for a super lightweight pair for next weekend!!!🤣🤣

presta

Guru
Whenever I'd been working on the bike I noticed the placebo effect usually made a big difference, it always felt as if it was going much better even if I'd only changed the brake pads or something.

Top Bottom