How much should it cost to have the bottom bracket serviced

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi, just been out for a very wet ride on the way home I noticed i cold feel a grinding sensation coming from the pedals on both side it seemed to be coming from where the crank goes into the frame of the bicycle (bottom bracket i think its called correct me if i am wrong) it wasnt constant but kept happening every so often.

If it is the bottom bracket needs servicing how much approx will my LBS charge to get it fixed up

Thank you :wacko:

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
A standard Shimano BB should be £25-30 for the BB and fitting.

Archie

Errrr.....
Mine charges about 20 quid + parts I think.

However don't give up on it just yet. Take the pedals off degrease and re-lube to see if it improves. Squirt some WD40 in the gap for the spindles to clean it out so you can see if there's any problems. Try checking for play in the cranks. If there is and they're both moving about the same distance you're probably right and it's time to get the BB replaced.

This would be an apposite moment to learn how to replace a bottom bracket. They aren't rocket science, and the labour from the LBS will cost the same as the tools.

DLB

interesting...

i've just taken my trek into the LBS because of a noise on the bottom bracket area. I know it's not the pedals as i swapped for another pair but the distinct clicking sound when i'm applying power to either pedal is causing me concern. Not sure how much it will be but i've never taken a bottom bracket apart before and so i was worried it would be complicated

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
If it's a not too old bike, fairly good/reasonable quality, it will most likely be cartridge - so a new one.

Probably cost you the same for parts/tools as in a shop, but at least youll have them for next time. All depends upon what your mechanical aptitude is like.

OLDSHUNTER

It depend's on which type of unit bottom bracket you have. if sealed and at fault then it's new unit known as a catridge b/b which is non servicable.The other's is cup and axle b/b which are servicable unless damaged to the extent of needing replaced this contain's a lockring of which if loose can be cause of movement and is identified with four small section's cut from circumfrence/an adjustable cup which contain's bearing's and grease these are on axle which is slightly longer on right crank side which has a fixed cup containing grease and bearing's.It's generally better to use non caged bearing's . If your compotent then get maintenance book with picture's of part's and step by step instruction's' should make it understandable might even be a web site with this ?.Although it sound's like water's got to it and it's likely to be a cup and axle b/b which is going to need attention i.e regreased and new bearing's.:tongue::becool:

mattsccm

I disagree. Unless its a real cheapy bike it will probabaly have a copy of a Shimano cartridge BB. Look at places like Chainreaction or Wiggle for 1 and a tool if you feel that way inclined. Some bikes hsops may charge bugger all to fit it if you get other stuff off. If you buy from one place and ask another to fit it expect higher prices.

willem

Über Member
Nearly every bike will have a cartridge bottom bracket. Even cheap ones are very good. The very cheap ones sometimes fitted originally are unfortunately crap. It is a shame manufacturers save on a part that is so easy and cheap to get absolutely right.
If you want to do it yourself, make sure you get the right size and type (nearly all or British theread, and nearly all are for 68 mm shells, but not all). The hard bit is axle length, and this is crankset dependent. So either you do your homework in the web, or you take apart what you have before you order a new one.
Modern (last two or three years mostly) bikes may have the trendy but awful external bearing construction, but yours probably not yet.
Willem

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
It's not a terribly complicated job, but it can be difficult - the torque for bottom brackets is pretty high, and they can be hard to remove from the bike.

I did mine recently - my bodge for removing it is here; http://monkeyphotomcr.blogspot.com/2009/08/bike-maintenance-bottom-bracket-removal.html (uses crankbolts, a tap nut and a cyclo tool). You need a good spanner to move the bb tool, as you'll be applying a lot of force and you don't want it to slip.

Remember to clean the shell thoroughly after removing the old bb and use lots of grease to install the new one.

Top Bottom