How NOT to lock-up your Brompton.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi to you all out there. Personally I am not a fan of folders BUT I could easily be persuaded to try one and especially when they can be so easily acquired as this one.

If you work at The Liverpool Royal Hospital the next person that sees your Black Brompton might not be as honest as me and you just might come to ride home and be faced with just the lock wrapped around the post.
IMAG0178.jpg
IMAG0177.jpg

Drago

Legendary Member
To be honest with that lock it matter little what they wrap it through. Why spend a grand or more on a Bromp then 12p on a lock?

rualexander

Legendary Member
Unless I'm misinterpreting the photo, its as secure as the lock really, you can't just pull a Brompton seatpost all the way out by opening the quick release lever, and if the saddle is too big to pass through the lock circumference then you'd have to cut the lock anyway, or know how to remove a Brompton seatpost.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
someone had a pinerallo locked up with just an aldi cable lock on the same sheffield stand as my carerra trigger's broom, that was secured with a abus lock and two additional cables. although the bike shed is pretty secure, it was nice to know that my bike was less likely to attract a theif...

Unless I'm misinterpreting the photo, its as secure as the lock really, you can't just pull a Brompton seatpost all the way out by opening the quick release lever, and if the saddle is too big to pass through the lock circumference then you'd have to cut the lock anyway, or know how to remove a Brompton seatpost.

Hi rualexander. You have almost got it in one. The bike has got to be the easiest of steals with the pointless cable lock around the post that the bikes are supposed to be secured to BUT the seat has a QR clamp.
The bike can not only be nicked BUT it can be ridden away with the same seat as it was ridden there on and that would just leave the lock on the floor.

Being that the owner is probably a regular visitor to the hospital it cannot be so difficult for an Eagle Eyed thief to acquire the knowledge and cause it to disappear on another day.

Seemingly in the case of the one that I have shown - all that is needed is a 5mm Allen Key to loosen the saddle to be able to remove the Pentaclip - dropping the seat pin a little if necessary.

-

Top Bottom