How safe is your nearest town/city?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
So... I was just comparing two towns on www.cyclestreets.net/collisions/ and one looked like it had a much higher density of collision pins than the other, so I checking by using the draw-an-area tool, and refining it to get key cyclist-involved collisions numbers and I was quite surprised by the difference:

Town A - Population 46,000 (2011 census at http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/guide-method/census/2011/index.html ) - 21.5% cycling (DfT table CW0111a but for the district containing it) = 9890 cyclists - 139 injuries including 3 serious and 0 fatal.

Town B - Population 28,700 - 18.5% cycling = 5310 cyclists - 122 injuries including 12 serious and 1 fatal.

So B is a much smaller town, almost as many injuries and many more KSIs. So what's good and bad here?

England (sorry but the stats are fragmented) - Population 53,012,456 - 15% cycling = 7951868 cyclists - 160k slight, 24k serious, 1k fatal (rounding because my tracing the border wasn't perfect). So I think it averages out to about 200 injuries per 10,000 cycling population, including 30 serious and 1 or 2 fatal... and Town B is slightly high on both total and fatal but slightly low for serious, while Town A seems much safer than average.

Could you check where you think are good and bad towns/cities and post what you find, especially if you find particularly good or bad rates? Any guesses at why they're like that would be interesting, too.

marknotgeorge

Hol den Vorschlaghammer!
Numbers I've got from my amateurish shape drawing, and filtering only by selecting 'Yes' in the cyclist-involved box:

Derby (Derby City Council) - 2011 population 248,000: 1016.
16.3% in DCC cycle at least once per month = 40424 cyclists.
25.13 incidents per 1000 cyclists.

Burton on Trent (part of East Staffordshire Borough Council) - 2011 population 72,299: 261.
14.6% in ESBC cycle at least once per month = 10555 cyclists.
24.72 incidents per 1000 cyclists.

Countrywide (per your figures above) work out at about 23.2 incidents of all types per 1000 cyclists.

Much of a muchness really, especially when you consider that ESBC also includes Uttoxeter, and my area of Burton might include parts of South Derbyshire. I would say that the cycling provision in Derby is much more overt than in Burton, and possibly of better quality - Burton has some pathetic schemes such as painting cycle lanes on a road (Wetmore Road) that is barely wide enough for two traffic lanes. Both my areas are higher than the countrywide figure, but I suspect this is because they're relatively large urban areas.

Last edited:

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
I suspect that Town A and Town B differ in the KSI stakes only by statistical uncertainty - in this sort of analysis there will always be much more varation than anyone expects intuitively.

And without looking at the data I suspect these are 10-year datasets. The annual "K" rate for cyclists nationally is about 100 - which includes those people who died of natural causes while on the road, those people who died while cycling off-road and those people who died in an incident not involving any other vehicle.

Top Bottom