How to deal with bike thieves

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
skrx said:
*shrug* She'll know it by the end of the school year anyway. (I did, along with most of the others, and I went to a "nice" school in the countryside.)

[Isn't it a tad hypocritical to use "p*ssed" above?]
Errr... why? It's not painted in big letters anywhere for my Daughter or anyone else's kids to read... and also has a key letter missing thus rendering it illegible to those who are unfamiliar with what the word should be.

A possible deterrent to this sort of lowlife behaviour is to look for a dog breeder that can cross a Greyhound with a Pit Bull Terrier.Speed and agility as a running partner and please release me from these jaws,(I promise I wan't do it again, ever)don't go there looks.If you are a female cyclist the additional security to youself has to be worth the feeding costs(temporary untill someone gives the animal a pratice run).Happy & Safe Riding to you All.

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
I can understand the frustration, to be honest.

When Fatboy got nicked, it near broke my heart. Poor little lamb only ever wanted to pootle around car parks with mates in the rain. He was like a happy (but idiot) puppy, all enthusiasm and embarrassingly ill equipped. I just hope the bugg3rs sold him on to someone that loves him like I still do.

Almost two years later, I still do double takes on any silver framed cr@p heaps.

tofer

Just had mine stolen two weeks ago, I heartily echo the sentiments of the chap who placed the poster.
Reminds me of the piece by Malcolm Gladwell in "Tipping Point" about Bernard Goetzte. If a few thieves were "dealt with" perhaps it might help in reducing the problem. After all lets face it what happens after your wheels are gone?
Police crime number, insurance pays if you're lucky etc etc.
The thief won't get caught and even if they did, then what? 10 hours community service. Now what kind of deterrent is that.
No the poster guy has my vote.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
tofer said:
Just had mine stolen two weeks ago, I heartily echo the sentiments of the chap who placed the poster.
Reminds me of the piece by Malcolm Gladwell in "Tipping Point" about Bernard Goetzte. If a few thieves were "dealt with" perhaps it might help in reducing the problem. After all lets face it what happens after your wheels are gone?
Police crime number, insurance pays if you're lucky etc etc.
The thief won't get caught and even if they did, then what? 10 hours community service. Now what kind of deterrent is that.
No the poster guy has my vote.

It's tempting but I think the net needs casting a bit wider than the little scrotes that do the thieving. As long as the market exists then the thieves will feed it. I've given up being amazed by the amount of stuff, that's at best suspect, that sells on e-bay, gumtree, local ads, etc. People are either too stupid, or too self centred, to make the connection between their 'bargain' and crime figures.

You'd still have the serious high end thieves that sell via shops or shipping abroad. But they wouldn't be interested in the sorts of bikes we'd like to be able to leave locked up in public.

bauldbairn

tofer said:
If a few thieves were "dealt with" perhaps it might help in reducing the problem. No the poster guy has my vote.

Sorry to here that tofer.

I'm surprised nobody mentioned this guy is probably a practicing Christian - his bike was locked outside the Cathedral(at night) and he mentioned God will not save you. Could even have been the vicar. :rolleyes:

He's was pretty angry though - understandably.

It does seem bike crime isn't taken too seriously by the courts.;)

Stolen Bikes/Bike Thieves

Bike thieves when found and in particular if in possession of said stolen bike should be stripped of their lower garments,the saddle removed from the post and the thief launched onto the post untill it is fully engaged where the sun does not shine:ohmy:.Their hands placed on the bars away from the brake/gear levers and tied with rope around the wrists to secure them in place and given a push start.I am sure bike theft would reduce rapidly as a result.:smile:.Happy & Safe Riding to You All.

Tynan

Veteran
like those filthty muslim fundies do?

several criminal offences in that poster, if he's reported the bike stolen that the coppers will know who he is

I've had a far few bikes nicked and I'd never leave one locked up in proper public space, I never have for that matter

Top Bottom