How to get hold of a project bike??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Toby_2009

Hi,

I'd like to have a go at 'renovating' an old racing/road bike. So, the question is where to find such a thing? I have signed up to freecycle but there dont seem to be any bike coming up in my area (St.ALbans and surrounding) so what can I do?

Try the dump?
Ask LBS's if they ever get given old racers?

I just basically want something which is in need of some work but that doesnt need everything replacing so guys, any ideas?

Cheers,

Toby

gbb

Legendary Member
Right place at the right time...try the local car boots. I got my Renolds 531 frame with crud transmission / wheels for £25. The frames a beaut..the rest of it got skipped.
Trouble is, i go almost every week, and although you do see a racer or two every month maybe, most of them are cheap nasty frames. Renovating / rebuilding can be moderately expensive, so i wouldnt want to spend a great deal on a crud frame.
Freecycle...trouble is you're fighting with so many other people. ive seen about 5 through ours in the last 3 months, but never got a sniff.

gbb

Legendary Member
Have a look at Friday Ads too. You can search locally online, or pick up the green freebee in you local papershops / garages etc.

Mr Pig

When I go to the local tip there is always a bile of bikes sitting. I've never blagged one but I know a guy who has got a few good bikes from there. He has seven daughters so needs to keep the cost of the bikes down! ;0)

OP
OP
T

Toby_2009

Right, been to dump, apparently they arent allowed to sell anything any more :biggrin:

keeping an eye on the local paper and free-cycle

will have a look round for any upcoming car boots

any other ideas?

OP
OP
T

Toby_2009

Tel said:
Cycle jumbles

whats that and where are they?:biggrin:

Toby_2009 said:
Right, been to dump, apparently they arent allowed to sell anything any more :tongue:

keeping an eye on the local paper and free-cycle

will have a look round for any upcoming car boots

any other ideas?

some of them will accept £10 to be looking the other way / busy while you take something.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Here's a vote for the village jumble sale.

Went to one on the weekend and, although I wasn't looking for yet another bike - sorry Mrs 3BM!, couldn't resist a lovely 80s Raleigh Clubman. Reynolds 531, Brooks saddle, Campag front/rear mech, look like brand new Schwalbe puncture proof tyres. All it needs is some new handlebar tape and a clean. £20 - bargain!! :evil:

Top Bottom