How to Grow Women's Pro-Cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
U

User169

Found a copy of this on the train last weekend..

http://www.femininmagazine.nl/

A newish sport cycling magazine targetted at women. There were big articles about Ellen van Dijk and about the women's Giro amongst all the usual kit stuff. Suggests that the publishers see rising interest in women's bike sport.

OP
OP
Flying_Monkey

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Not related to cycling, but just a reminder that just because 'things are like this' doesn't mean that they will stay that way...

England women's football team outsells the men...

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
It would be good to see more womens racing, especially a TDF. We can relate to them much easier than the mens teams. Its the same as women golfers. They would still thrash us but not as much as the guys.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
It would be good to see more womens racing, especially a TDF. We can relate to them much easier than the mens teams. Its the same as women golfers. They would still thrash us but not as much as the guys.

They might thrash you...

Regardless, I can't say this has any real bearing on my enjoyment of women's racing vs men's racing.

Last edited:
The. World Championships this year were an excellent illustration of why women's racing does not have the same status of men's. I've been following women's racing since the days of Mandy Jones, I even recall staying up half the night watching Connie Carpenter win the first women's Olympic RR in 1984, but in all that time 95% of the women's races I've watched have been as dull as ditchwater. The only exceptions that come to mind were Nicole Cooke's Olympic and World's wins. Sorry girls, if you want the same status as the men you need to up your game, considerably.

The. World Championships this year were an excellent illustration of why women's racing does not have the same status of men's. I've been following women's racing since the days of Mandy Jones, I even recall staying up half the night watching Connie Carpenter win the first women's Olympic RR in 1984, but in all that time 95% of the women's races I've watched have been as dull as ditchwater. The only exceptions that come to mind were Nicole Cooke's Olympic and World's wins. Sorry girls, if you want the same status as the men you need to up your game, considerably.

Two of the most patronising posts I've seen on women's cycling, made worse by the fact that neither of you probably think you're being patronising to the lickle girlies trying so hard..... I'll generously assume you've not really thought about what you've said.

And in answer, I can only assume that you don't realize what it takes to get to the top at any level of sport from boy's football to pro cycling etc.. and perhaps if womens cycling had the same level of investment, promotion and coverage it might be more comparable to men's cycling and even then we may not expect the same type of competition. Tactics, race length, season goals, physiology, will all play a part to make the racing different. if you're expecting like for like, you've not really thought about it.

oldroadman

Veteran
Well having seen quite a few women's races the over a long time, I think overall it's much better than it was. There is stronger competition and extending road distances have helped. The UCI need to have a think about the stage race regulations, an average 100km a day could easily go out to 120. The organisers of the Women's Tour in GB got it about right, a parcours not too difficult, if it had been, as some of the top end riders wanted, then the field would have probably been spread all over eastern England. What seems to happen at a World's for instance, is that too many teams are either hanging on for a finish, or wanting to close down for a sprinter (whether they have one or not), and the result is a race where people are not confident in making a telling move, and then trying to make it stick. hence bunch finishes most of the time, preceded by a steady and controlled race. At the moment, there is not enough quality in depth, and that's a major issue. Outside the top 10-20 riders the standard drops off dramatically. It will only improve if money comes in (to encourage full time pro riders of decent ability) and a lot more women start racing. You need a big base to a pyramid to get a larger peak. No quick fix, I'm afraid.

And in answer, I can only assume that you don't realize what it takes to get to the top at any level of sport from boy's football to pro cycling etc.. and perhaps if womens cycling had the same level of investment, promotion and coverage it might be more comparable to men's cycling and even then we may not expect the same type of competition. Tactics, race length, season goals, physiology, will all play a part to make the racing different. if you're expecting like for like, you've not really thought about it.
What I'm looking for is what you get in men's professional one day races, excitement, spectacle, entertainment. Sadly, women's races currently fall a long way short.

Top Bottom