How to Grow Women's Pro-Cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Nicole Cooke MBE had some words to say about the reasons for decline in Women's opportunity. The Grauniad.

oldroadman

Veteran
Cooke would be a great choice to lead British Cycling...
Wouldn't it be interesting to see what happened if she stood for election? Then you would get a verdict from those who may have/do know her. She might do well. Reading the article it's clear she has an angle on what happened in her day, Over to WCU because as I understand it, to get elected you have to get nominated? I don't think "leading" BC is such an easy job as some people might think, and looking at the handbook all anti-doping work is now entirely in the hands of UKAD, completely independent as it should be, they even run the hearings, so BC have no say in who gets tested and what sanctions are used if someone gets caught doing something stupid. From my perspective, progress is being made, and I feel Mr Cookson has shown his cards clearly with the CIRC report being published. Of course the media will pick up on the "sensational" stuff but there's 220+ pages of it, and I'll bet your average journo has just skimmed it looking for sticks to beat the sport with - incidentally for some of them a sport which is a good part of their living. Funny old world. Bad news sells, no-one interested in good work quietly done?

HF2300

Insanity Prawn Boy
I missed this part of the CIRC report - probably because with all the doping discussions the commentators passed it by...

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/10...ycling-report-doping-depressing-ignored-women

for me the most important thing for me in growing womens cycling has got to be the ability/availability to watch the racing live be it TV or online and at least decent sameday highlights, the UCI youtube channel would do for a start....

so what percentage of the races are televised at present? and where? are you suggesting the UCI finance television coverage or even become TV company?

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
so what percentage of the races are televised at present? and where? are you suggesting the UCI finance television coverage or even become TV company?
The UCI Youtube Channel is reasonable image quality but tends to rely on links from whichever TV company is filming the race. The commentating is added on, very often by a man with an irritating voice. On the whole, it's amateurish. But it's a service, nevertheless. Static digital cameras, a bit of voiceover - minimal expense that wouldn't make a dent in the UCI's budget - would cover the gap until the money-for-audiences TV companies come on board.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
I don't think this article is particularly well written but it does highlight some of the darker corners of women's cycling and how far it still needs to go to protect vulnerable young cyclists.

HF2300

Insanity Prawn Boy
I missed this part of the CIRC report - probably because with all the doping discussions the commentators passed it by...

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/10...ycling-report-doping-depressing-ignored-women

I don't think this article is particularly well written but it does highlight some of the darker corners of women's cycling and how far it still needs to go to protect vulnerable young cyclists.

Seems to be an echo in here... :rolleyes:

You're right though, it is particularly depressing that in this day & age these sort of abuses of power are still happening.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Seems to be an echo in here... :rolleyes:

You're right though, it is particularly depressing that in this day & age these sort of abuses of power are still happening.
:blush: Sorry HF - a full TMN to you.

I'm normally a stickler for checking if someone has already posted a link, particularly for threads like these, but missed that completely. Flogging myself with a used shredded chamois right away.

Top Bottom