How to reduce the risk of cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
To be fair, that could have happened if they'd just gone out for a ride with a friend. It's not really a function of the event itself?
Oh I dunno, it's like riding a FNRttC when I turn up ....

I think I get where GrasB is coming from, if you've gone to the effort of applying, and this event is 'special', you get psyched-up (especially with mates), you're more likely to carry-on regardless of the conditions. I was the same with my first Oxford to London night ride, I too was poorly equipped but swept-up with enthusiasm and nearly froze to death by half way. It's called a learning experience. The L2B can be much the same when the weather turns part way. Big events tend to be a triumph of enthsiasm over capability. Twas ever thus.

Reactions: srw
OP
OP
srw

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
I'd completely agree that having an off, and therefore an injury, was more likely on this kind of event than "normal" riding, but the two are completely incomparable.

Not completely incomparable - both are riding a bike on roads, just in different circumstances. And Peter Walker's Guardian quote, referenced in the OP, was doing exactly that.

Whoever said that riding on closed roads was a fantastic experience - oh yes!

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Where's our risk-reduction expert @MacB when you need him? He's managed to achieve a state where there's almost no risk of cycling whatever.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
My 2 cents (pence?): perhaps sportives are a bit more risky than other cycling activities, but I think the benefits outweigh the risks. These sportives help encourage non-cyclists or beginner cyclists to ride, thus helping improve the overall health of the population.

OP
OP
srw

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Curiously enough, in tourist class there was relatively little testosterone and not a little progesterone.

Top Bottom