Hub shiners

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Daddybus

Über Member
These came with my bike, I had to ask what they were, I'd never seen any before...
IMG_20150726_154942.jpg

They go round the hubs ... Or they did 30 years ago
Blimey these are a blast from the past

OP
OP
Daddybus

Daddybus

Über Member
They are just like old bottle brushes plastic bristles on twisted wire...I thought they were brown when I got the bike! ('85 Marlboro monarch) I put them in a dish of washing powder & they came up a treat...anyone else have them?

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
Never used them myself. Since they never seemed to be mentioned as for sale in Bike Riders' Aids (another blast from the past!), I suspect they were often the remains of leather toe straps which had worn or snapped and were now too iffy/short for their original purpose. The buckle would provide sufficient weight to stop them revolving at the same speed as the hub.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
My dad had those on his bike in the 60's. Leather though, not multi coloured swap shop thingies!

Milkfloat

An Peanut
My dad put pipe cleaners on my hubs when I was a lad - I might have to tie some strings on the kid's hubs to keep the tradition going.

jiberjaber

Veteran
Old bit of rope on my bike hubs as a kid, saw some vintage bikes with leather ones on a recent ride which looked nice.

Top Bottom