Hugh Porter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MikeonaBike

Is Hugh Porter in a competition with Phil Liggett to be the worst commentator in cycling? Porter, in my opinion is dreadful, he makes Carlton Kirby sound brilliant! Porter's use of the non-word 'theirselves' is irritating in the extreme; why don't ITV tell the bloke to speak English? I have to watch the ToB highlights with no sound.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Mistaking Lopez for Wiggins up the Tumble was embarrassing too. His fellow commentator was cringing.

suzeworld

Veteran
I've said elsewhere, you have to respect what he's done but his rider identification and his reading of the race is more often wrong than right.
I thought you were exaggerating, but watching him on the ToB this week, I have to say you're NOT.
He contradicts the other guy to say wrong stuff and can't get the name of riders or teams out properly. Surely it is time for a new voice on this job,

jarlrmai

Veteran
The best was when he got confused about a rider that was off the back and thought they were bridging to the leaders.

OP
OP
MikeonaBike

MikeonaBike

Goes to show that good sportsmen (or women) don't necessarily make good commentators. Another example (athletics) is Brendan Foster, truly awful, the master of stating the blindingly obvious. Seems that Carlton Kirby is the best we have at the moment......!!!!!

Come back David Harmon. Please.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Goes to show that good sportsmen (or women) don't necessarily make good commentators. Another example (athletics) is Brendan Foster, truly awful, the master of stating the blindingly obvious. Seems that Carlton Kirby is the best we have at the moment......!!!!!

Come back David Harmon. Please.
I quite like Declan Wotsisname and Robbie Hatch.

compo

Veteran
Is Hugh Porter in a competition with Phil Liggett to be the worst commentator in cycling? Porter, in my opinion is dreadful, he makes Carlton Kirby sound brilliant! Porter's use of the non-word 'theirselves' is irritating in the extreme; why don't ITV tell the bloke to speak English? I have to watch the ToB highlights with no sound.

Am I allowed to confess to liking Carlton Kirby. It can't always be easy trying to keep an audience involved on long stretches of a stage when not a lot is happening but he manages it. My wife and I often enjoy his little asides about the countryside where the race is passing. Also he does go into some detail about what is actually happenning in the peleton, things that many people wouldn't even notice until having them pointed out. I think Carlton Kirby is maybe more apealling to people who don't have an in depth knowledge of cycle racing.

Top Bottom