Hugh Porter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Though David Millar was speechless at the end of his last race the other day, I really hope he does a bit more commentating: a good, articulate voice, intelligent, and very well informed. A pleasure to listen to.

Hugh is local to me and has whizzed past me a time or two, so I hate to be disloyal. On the other hand, I do suspect his time has gone as a commentator. He was at his most embarrassing during the Olympics when he failed to recognise any of the riders - in unfamiliar national jerseys admittedly, but there is homework to be done. I like the Kirby/Kelly combination if only for the amount Kirby's enthusiastic faux idiocy gets out of Sean, who is not always very forthcoming.
like many, would like to hear more from David Millar and have enjoyed Christian House's contributions.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Well, yes, actually! It's really not important enough to get all indignant about! The majority find him OK and TBH I think all the commentators do a great job in pointing things out to the viewing public, getting it right most of the time.

It's only when you become knowledgeable in a subject that you become impatient with the shortcomings of others.
Thing is, I reckon it's only the knowledgeable, and those who want to be, that tune in and watch on ITV4. Just how many times do we need to be told that the peloton is in a long line because they have speeded up, and that he's tapping out the rhythm with his race face on. Must have heard combinations of the above hundreds of times during their coverage, or so it seems ........ What does 'tapping out' mean anyway?

rich p

ridiculous old lush
The long and the short of it is, that if there is somebody who can do the job better, (and there is) then why tolerate incompetence.

HF2300

Insanity Prawn Boy
The long and the short of it is, that if there is somebody who can do the job better, (and there is) then why tolerate incompetence.

If the standards are set by football commentary it'll soon degenerate into a string of names with an occasional noun or adjective chucked in.

What does 'tapping out' mean anyway?

It's what you do when you dance on the pedals a la Liggett.

I just had a vision of the whole peloton with madly whirling legs like a Riverdance parody.

jarlrmai

Veteran
Next time you are on a long group ride, try commentating it to the guy you are riding with see how long you can go without repeating yourself :smile:

Brightski

Chronos Racing Team
Hugh and Phil are hard work at times,
Hugh Porter was guest speaker and trophy giver outer at my old clubs annual dinner many years ago, nice enough gent :thumbsup:

I miss David Harmon but I'm perfectly happy with Carlton Kirby, especially when teamed up with Sean K. Can't stand Paul Sherwen and I'm afraid that much as I admire Hugh Porter his commentary these days is pretty dire.

perplexed

Guru
Dave Harmon with Magnus Backstedt was a good combination.

I don't know about HP, I listen to the other side.

I also fine Carlton Kirby quite personable (and he's from my neck of the woods). However, I was going to play a drinking game whilst he was commentating, but decided against it. I was going to have a small snifter everytime he said 'incidentally', but decided that a) I couldn't afford it, and b) I'd be dead within 20 minutes...

Last edited:

oldroadman

Veteran
Commentary by Matt Stephens has been good this season, he seems to be getting more opportunity and a good thing too. David Millar would be good alongside him, I think, and also as a presenter, although Ned Boulting does an excellent job. For me the worst presentation and commentary are on the (obviously cheap/budget) productions for BC Elite Series stuff. There the editing is not great, shot quality variable, and commentary can be monotone. Information is there and usually OK, but presentation of it works for insomnia. Which is a shame because a bit of extra work (and no doubt cash) could make some decent programmes from what are often good aggressive races. Maybe some more women's races too?

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Ned Boulting does an excellent job.

Ned Boulting goes to show that you don't necessarily need in-depth knowledge of a subject to be a good TV presenter. Between him, Boardman, Millar and Gary Haircut, they've got what I think is a perfectly balanced mix of inside knowledge and telly skills. Just a shame about the idiots in the commentary box. I also think they should make more use of Matt Rendell.

Ned Boulting goes to show that you don't necessarily need in-depth knowledge of a subject to be a good TV presenter. Between him, Boardman, Millar and Gary Haircut, they've got what I think is a perfectly balanced mix of inside knowledge and telly skills. Just a shame about the idiots in the commentary box. I also think they should make more use of Matt Rendell.

Yep, I could sit and listen to Boardman, Boulting, Imlach and Millar all day; and I agree re Rendell as well, they should use him more (but his voice is a more suited to writing books...)

Top Bottom