hydraulic rim brake

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wisdom

Guru
20140416_191139.jpg
Bought a giant mtb for pulling the trailer and knocking around on.
Now bike number 5
Giant defy 3
Orbit steely road bike
ridgeback supernova hybrid
Giant boulder (sons claimed it)
Giant mtb for the trailer.
the latest one has a hydraulic rim brake on the front
20140416_191129.jpg

Am I right in presuming the allen bolt on the lever as shown is the filler.
What oil/fluid do I use?
What would the silver lever on the front of the brake assembly be for?
it all works well but the lever comes in fairly close to the handlebar but stops the wheel dead.might just put fresh fluid in to be safe.

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
Welllllll...at a guess.......push the silver lever. Either the world will end, or it won't. If it doesn't, phew. If it does, it's all your fault! Seriously, though, I think the lever is to allow you to back off the brakes and remove the front wheel. I may be wrong though (and often have been). Are there any manufacturers marks that allow you to identify the set up?

OP
OP
wisdom

wisdom

Guru
Thought so for the lever.
manufacturers marks are very feint.
will give everything a good clean up and look in the daylight.

Tim Hall

Not quite. They look like Maguras. The silver lever is a QR, to allow you to pull one shoe off. It sounds like the blocks need to run nearer the rim before the lever is pulled. There should be an allen key inside the lever (look in from the end leaning on the wall. It's 2.5mm or 2mm I think). Give it a twiddle. This will push more fluid down the pipe, without the lever being pulled, pushing the blocks closer to the rim. No need to change the fluid.

HB_Dude

Am I right in presuming the allen bolt on the lever as shown is the filler.
What oil/fluid do I use?
What would the silver lever on the front of the brake assembly be for?
it all works well but the lever comes in fairly close to the handlebar but stops the wheel dead.might just put fresh fluid in to be safe.

That brake looks indeed like a Magura HS33 / HS11,
They use Maguras own "Blood" fluid, wiggle or chain reaction should help with a bleed / service kit for that system.

Heres the manual from Magura http://www.magura.com/uploads/media/downloads/rim_brakes__09_E.pdf

Or this may help........

Top Bottom