I have a bike but is it suitable?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

holly1234

Hello Everyone,
I am new to the cycling world and need your advice!
I want to start commuting to work, 7 miles each way and I have the bike shown in the photo.
First of all, what is it (hybrid or mountain?)? Secondly, do you think it is suitable for a 7 mile commute? I have some more close-up photos of the tyres etc. if needed.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated :smile:
Holly
IMG_2439.JPG

Dave 123

Legendary Member
I would say it is suitable for a journey of that length

But....

It's a mountain bike and will be a bit on the heavy side. I would say commute on it for a few months to get into it, then if you can afford it, get something a bit lighter and sportier. You'll notice the difference.

Learnincurve

I have that bike, it's perfect for trail and off road, but it is very heavy, trust me you are going to feel it on the hills. If you have no hills then switch to something like continental contact tyres and crack on, otherwise I would look at getting a lighter hybrid, 13kg or under is what you want otherwise you are not going to find it much different.

OP
OP
H

holly1234

wow thanks for all your replies! How much £ am I looking at for some new road tyres?
Also, what do you all mean by 'lock out the front forks'?

Cold

I used a Specialized Hardrock for commuting to work for years all I changed was the tyres for slicks .

Cyclist33

I used to have one of those and commuted a 10 mile each way trip on roads for a year and then 12-15 miles the following year, I can't say it was as enjoyable as doing that on a road bike or a fast hybrid, but it wasn't a problem just ensure you've got showers at work, and invest in some nice riding clothing... Equally, a pair of City Jet tyres sets you back twenty quid and would make it much smoother.

Won't knock more than a few minutes off the commute time I doubt.

It's a perfect bike to start commutting that length.

In two months you'll either be getting a 1000 bike on the cycle to work scheme or you'll have packed it in... But that will be down to how you take to cycling, not that bike :smile:

I started on something very similar, albeit I had the slick tyres suggested by everyone above.

AndyWilliams

Über Member
Hello Everyone,
I am new to the cycling world and need your advice!
I want to start commuting to work, 7 miles each way and I have the bike shown in the photo.
First of all, what is it (hybrid or mountain?)? Secondly, do you think it is suitable for a 7 mile commute? I have some more close-up photos of the tyres etc. if needed.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated :smile:
Holly
View attachment 83353

I have one of these, road 20 + miles around London town yesterday on chunky tyres. I would say its totally fine with the tyres you have on.
I found the secret for me is to go casual, don't get on it and go full blast. I sit around 10-13mph on the MTB on the roads and 15-20mph on the road bike.
Enjoy.

Shortmember

Bickerton Cyclocross Racing Team groupie
If you don't want to invest in a set of slick tyres yet, try pumping up the ones you have on until they are fairly hard and it should make pedalling a bit easier.

Cyclist33

It's a perfect bike to start commutting that length.

In two months you'll either be getting a 1000 bike on the cycle to work scheme or you'll have packed it in... But that will be down to how you take to cycling, not that bike :smile:

I started on something very similar, albeit I had the slick tyres suggested by everyone above.

Ah the slippery slope..

Top Bottom