I thought I had it tough..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Two phone calls back to back this morning nearly had me in tears in the office. the first, a chap who's had a massive stroke and is totally paralyzed down one side. He's 70, been cycling all his life and has a garage full of Hewitts and Colnagos. He's just desperate to get back in the saddle and he calls me regularly to discuss how we're going to get him back on his bike. And then within a day or two his wife call to say that really, the chances of him riding a bike ever again are pretty much zero. I know how low I've felt not being able to ride, but at least for me I knew it was just a matter of time. He thinks that it all depends on his pure determination, which has got him through most things in his life, but the simple fact is he'll probably never ride again. Poor old bugger.

And then five mins later a very jolly woman calls who needs a trike because she's not very steady. She had a car accident which left her with 'a few issues with her legs'. The 'accident' was caused by a pair of scumbags, high on drink and drugs and driving at high speed the wrong way down the M5. The head-on collision killed them both instantly and started a fire which burnt off most of her toes and the skin off her legs and broke every bone in her legs in several places. That she survived was largely thanks to the police who happened to be on the scene - because they were chasing the scumbags. She died and was rescusitated seven times before reaching the hospital and spend months in intensive care. And then the anti-biotics she was on has damaged her hearing.

Bloody hell.

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
And yet I'd put money that both those people have said, at least once, "I thought I had it tough but........."

Arch

Married to Night Train
And at the same time, some people who moved into flats opposite McDs are complaining about chavs puking on their doorstep. How ghastly for them...

Mickle, obviously you've thought of it, but could a trike do anything for the stroke chap? Or tandeming of some sort?

As for the jolly lady, I guess the bright side is that the scumbags were removed from the gene pool.

I expect you will help them both in some way. Even if the chap can't cycle, he might get some joy from talking to you about it.

Two phone calls back to back this morning nearly had me in tears in the office. the first, a chap who's had a massive stroke and is totally paralyzed down one side. He's 70, been cycling all his life and has a garage full of Hewitts and Colnagos. He's just desperate to get back in the saddle and he calls me regularly to discuss how we're going to get him back on his bike. And then within a day or two his wife call to say that really, the chances of him riding a bike ever again are pretty much zero. I know how low I've felt not being able to ride, but at least for me I knew it was just a matter of time. He thinks that it all depends on his pure determination, which has got him through most things in his life, but the simple fact is he'll probably never ride again. Poor old bugger.

And then five mins later a very jolly woman calls who needs a trike because she's not very steady. She had a car accident which left her with 'a few issues with her legs'. The 'accident' was caused by a pair of scumbags, high on drink and drugs and driving at high speed the wrong way down the M5. The head-on collision killed them both instantly and started a fire which burnt off most of her toes and the skin off her legs and broke every bone in her legs in several places. That she survived was largely thanks to the police who happened to be on the scene - because they were chasing the scumbags. She died and was rescusitated seven times before reaching the hospital and spend months in intensive care. And then the anti-biotics she was on has damaged her hearing.

Bloody hell.

Wow I can see why you felt tearful after receiving those calls.I know its a long shot but I wonder whether the cahp who has had the stroke could get onto a tandem. And if he could whether anyone who owns one in his area would give him a gentle ride out.
Probably a silly suggestion on my part but like you I feel so desperately sorry for him.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I admire the determination of both in the face of adversity :bravo: - and I hope you told her that.

For the old gent, would an electric bike be a good starting point? Just a thought.

OP
OP
mickle

mickle

innit
Old chap needs a hoist to do anything, unfortunately. He'd need a trike with electric assist, torso support, one sided drive with return spring crank and all the controls on one side. And i cant be 100% sure that all of that would work for him. Hes coming in next week, ill let you all know how it goes.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
You might not be sure of what you can do for him but I'm pretty sure of 2 things :
  • he'll not get better assistance than from Mickle
  • he'll have a great time talking bikes to a real bike-geek ^_^
If I understand your job correctly, you'll be hearing a lot of these stories in the next few years.
Don't let them get you down - rather use them as a spur to your creativity to help others. :thumbsup:

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
How long ago was it since he had his stroke? One of my friends had a brain bleed that left him paralysed down one side. A year later he can limp about. It seems to me he could ride some sort of trike.

We all at some time suffer some tragedy and it is when it strikes that we realise how self-centred we are.
I know there are times when being stuck in traffic or transport not turning up seems like the end of the world.
Then you hear stories like this and you feel a little less selfish.
Scoosh is right just talking bikes is a huge help, we all know that.
and the jolly woman will make it on a trike because it sounds like her character will see her through.
I think it helps us all if we can just spare a thought for those less well off and able than ourselves now and again and know that someone, somewhere is helping those who truly need our help.
Best of luck Mickle, I am sure you will be more than able to help these folk.:thumbsup:

Lee_M

Guru
Old chap needs a hoist to do anything, unfortunately. He'd need a trike with electric assist, torso support, one sided drive with return spring crank and all the controls on one side. And i cant be 100% sure that all of that would work for him. Hes coming in next week, ill let you all know how it goes.

chair at our cycling club is partially paralysed following a diving disaster, an now rides an electric bike - maybe an electric trike could help?

Top Bottom