Ian May cycles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Scilly Suffolk

Über Member
I've just bought this and would be interested to know more about him and his bikes.

There is still an Ian May shop in Liverpool and I've dropped them a line.

Thanks in advance.

Jim.

Seems a decent enough buy at that money for a steel lugged frame of that vintage. It would make for a great sympathetic restoration project.

Sorry, don't know a jot about Ian May though :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Scilly Suffolk

Scilly Suffolk

Über Member
Just in case anyone in the future is interested, Ian May Cycles can still be found at 170 Bebington Road, Bebington, Wirral, Merseyside, CH63 7NX.

I've dropped them a line to see if they can give me any information on its "pedigree" (and supply decals for the respray).

Yes, it is a twenty-three and a half inch frame (centre of crank to top of seat tube) and I am six foot three inches tall.

Thanks for your interest.

OP
OP
Scilly Suffolk

Scilly Suffolk

Über Member
Seems Ian May have closed down.

I got a phone call from the lady who now has their phone number, which is still being published in business directories.

Wage_Slave

I've just stumbles on this post.
Ian May cycles were indeed in Bebington and I used to visit them a lot in the late 80's.
I don't think they built the frames onsite, but had their decals applied and sold as their own.

Sadly, I heard that Ian had a brain hemorrhage and died and his missus took over the shop for a while until it closed.

I've still got my 531 bike with Campag Gran Sport equipped stuff attached. ^_^

ps. Bebington isn't Liverpool. It's on the Wirral :thumbsup:

Philip Osler

Here are a couple of pictures of my Ian May

IMAG0206.jpg

IMAG0208.jpg

Phil

OP
OP
Scilly Suffolk

Scilly Suffolk

Über Member
Thanks for the pics Phil; I don't suppose you know anything about the man?

I read that Ian May was "an experimental frame builder"; of course that doesn't mean he didn't also sell badged-up frames from other builders. My own bike certainly fits the "experimental" bill: the tubeset has been ovalised (locally, not by Reynolds), but overall it is a little flawed.

I had to get the seat tube reamed to get 65mm of seatpost past the ovalised section and the braze-on front dérailleur mount doesn't account for the fact that it sits a couple of mm further inboard than a round tube, so I have to use a narrower BB than the chainset should use.

The photo is as she was in "endurance" guise for this year's Dunwich Dynamo.

55549d1341059072-photo-0002.jpg

Philip Osler

Nice looking bike you have there!

I've been looking for information myself about Ian May, I spoke the owner at my LBS who remembered him. but I don't know anything that has not already been posted on this thread! mines made from 453 tubing and is pretty light probably not one of his experimental frames though.

Don't want to sell your bike to me do you? ;)

Phil

OP
OP
Scilly Suffolk

Scilly Suffolk

Über Member
Ha! As soon as I saw your's, I thought "that's my size"!

Aside from this thread I've only seen one other bike on Ebay: which makes us members of a very exclusive club.

Where abouts are you?

OP
OP
Scilly Suffolk

Scilly Suffolk

Über Member
I'm confused: the sale finished in July! Seems a little over the odds too, based on the information supplied.

The seller kindly couriered mine, which was the first time it had been far from home judging by its condition.

The finishing kit (which looked original) was a bit confusing: crap Korean calipers with Modolo America levers, Ofmega front mech and (notoriously bad) Simplex SX610 rear, ITM bars on a Kalloy stem etc.

What was on yours?

Philip Osler

i've got weinmann calipers, shimano 2300 shifters, suntour cyclone front mech and shimano 2300 rear, ITM bars and tape.

Just had it upgraded to STI's a couple of weeks ago double and 8 speed rear, its made a big difference.

I got mine from a older couple in oxton on the wirral for pretty cheap :smile:

Top Bottom