Identify please:- Freewheel or Cassette ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chess

Hi all,
Can a member kindly identify ( see pics ) for me please ?
And also link me to the correct tool to remove it ?
Sorry for poor pics, info I do have:- it's a 26 inch MTB wheel and the internal diameter where the tool fits is 21.8mm - spline to spline.
Hope this helps and thank you.
IMG_20160828_133741813.jpg

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
That looks like a freewheel to me. You'll need a Shimano compatible tool like this one: https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/tools/birzman-shimano-freewheel-remover-for-12-inch-driver/

It will be on very tight so will need some effort to remove. If you have a vice you can clamp the tool firmly in this and turn the wheel (it undoes anti-clockwise as per normal). I don't have a vice available so have found that using an extending car wheel wrench with suitable socket to fit the tool is a good alternative.

Edit to fix bad link

Last edited:

RMurphy195

Quick and easy way to remove and confirm what you have - take the wheel to your local bike shop and ask them to remove it, ask them what it is, and ask if they have the tool in stock to buy.

T4tomo

Guru
It is a freewheel, if it was a cassette you'd see a lock nut.

I got one off onenif mine by holding tool in place with the skewer and using a vice. If you don't have a vice your lbs will... A cheeky smile should get access to it especially if you buy something else from them

lpretro1

Freewheel - place the tool in a vice and then put the wheel into the tool and then you can use the whole wheel to get leverage - saves breaking yuor back :smile:

davidphilips

Veteran
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bike-Bicy...3226&_trkparms=aid=555014&algo=PL.DEFAULT&ao=

if you are on no hurry you can buy a cheap tool (works ok) for £1.06 but delivery is a slow boat from china. item no 272040723864

Attachments

• Desert.jpg
    Desert.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 28

robgul

Legendary Member
Yep - a freewheel .... but before you get buying tools to remove it make a judgement on whether the wheel is worth it - is it worn? ... cassettes have been standard issue for quite a while now.

Rob

Top Bottom