Idiot Bus Driver

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

domd1979

Veteran
Feel the need for a (little) rant...

Went to Wolverhampton this evening to sample the excellent Great Western for a few jars. Following that went to get the Arriva bus home... Stood at the stand at Wolves Bus Station, first in the queue, bus comes screaming past without bothering to stop at the stand, open his doors or anything. Its an hourly service, so didn't fancy waiting an hour for the next one, so went to get the train. From the train station, the very same bus route gets me home. Got to the stop and the bus was already there (10 minutes early, so probably left people behind en route as well). Same driver, stood outside his bus smoking. Mentioned that he'd left me behind at Wolves, and got a load of "not me mate, not this bus, don't look at me like that". Got on the bus (other passengers already on), put my fare on the tray and sat down, which was then followed by "You don't get on the bus until I tell you. I'll rip your head off. Don't swear at me" (even though I hadn't uttered a word....).... "if you're not careful you won't get where you're going".

Top quality service eh? Will bung a complaint in tomorrow to the relevant people, so hopefully someone will be having a word in his earhole. I'm pretty pro-public transport, but with drivers like that, its not difficult to see why people don't bother with it.

gratts

Well the last part is pretty ridiculous, but the first part..around here you have to hail the bus as it comes past otherwise they don't stop..Wasn't like that back up norff, just seems to be how it's done with this particular company :sad:

OP
OP
domd1979

domd1979

Veteran
Yep, at a normal bus stop you do hail the bus, but in a bus station the bus should pull into the stand. As more than one service uses the same stand the bus should stop as the driver doesn't know who in the queue wants what service. I've caught zillions of buses from there over the years, and that's the first time ever I've had that happen!!

gratts said:
Well the last part is pretty ridiculous, but the first part..around here you have to hail the bus as it comes past otherwise they don't stop..Wasn't like that back up norff, just seems to be how it's done with this particular company :sad:

OP
OP
domd1979

domd1979

Veteran
I didn't, but fortunately as the whole route only has 2 buses working it, should be easy enough for them to identify him by departure time.

Headgardener said:
Did you get his PSV (I think) licence number as this will help the bus company identifiy the driver, it is a small round leather holder with the details inside which should be displayed clearly on the drivers person while on duty.

FBOAB

Headgardener said:
Did you get his PSV (I think) licence number as this will help the bus company identifiy the driver, it is a small round leather holder with the details inside which should be displayed clearly on the drivers person while on duty.

Sorry, but they stopped those in 1990! Seriously, get on the phone, e-mail and write (the garage that usually does the Wolves services are at Delta Way in Cannock - sorry can't remember the full address)with the exact route and time of the bus. They will be able to identify the driver easily from that information. Sadly, if you just leave it at one letter it probably would be ignored. This is not just due to ignorance on their part (but knowing Arriva, I wouldn't doubt it), you wouldn't believe how many people complain about buses just for the fun of it and it can get a little tiresome when you're on the other side of the desk.

Drivers, along with most employees in the bus/coach industry are poorly paid with an archaic culture of long hours just to get a reasonable take home pay. This can no way excuse the stupidity of drivers like this but it does seem to attract the numpties as they can't get work anywhere else. (Oh and some like the job and do it for the pleasure of providing a service - like me!)

Trillian

Headgardener said:

they've not had to wear that for years iirc

Top Bottom