If you had a Vintage Motorcycle...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Linford

the point of a harley is the same point as a ford granada, it's big, its comfortable and it gets you there effortlessly

unlike California or texas, two examples of the Harley's natural habitat, here in england we have very twisty roads and bad weather, two things that make a harley a left of field choice when looking for a touring bike compared to the pan european or even the gold wing.

Harley was a triumph of marketing over excellence. People who buy them here are ones who are looking for a turn key image.
Some are alright, but I came past the local dealership on an 06 GSXR1000 a few years ago as 3 riders were just pulling out. I rode towards the motorway, all 30's and 40's, got to a light controlled roundabout which headed towards it, sat at the front of the queue waiting for the lights, and they (the 3) come past and park right in front of me - totally blanking me and tryingto be all macho in the tassles and chaps.
then pull away and proceed to block the lane whilst they huffed and puffed up to about 90 which I thought was fairly rude as they knew they would have been holding me up.
They eventually move over, and I changed into 2nd gear, and left them for dust. I normally sit behind other bikes, but I found the way they rode totally lacking in the cameraderie I normally see other bikers display

exactly, in my likening it to a Granada, unless you had the top engine in it, then it plodded its way unto speed and stayed there. something that's fine for the big wide open roads of the states but not for over here.

I ride a 125 Varadero and I know that I initially move quicker than most other things due to being light, including a 1000 fire blade that a friend has, however once he's actually moving he's straight past.

however, in one car length I would be holding the fire blade up, so I stay behind
infact, I stay behind or go alongside ready to drop back behind if I can't easily take the lead with other bikes.

Night Train

Maker of Things
I bought a new 2002 Harley Davidson FSXTB Night Train.
Mollie12.jpg

I loved the bike but it was a dangerous and faulty 'Friday afternoon bodge' that Harley wouldn't repair under warranty.
Nice bike but awful company and customer relations.

I was sorry to have to sell it but grateful to be shot of any relations with the company. The money converted the front room of my house and set up my furniture workshop.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
This is in my garage:

View attachment 12361

Sadly, for all sorts of reasons, it's had very little use for the last 2 years. In fact, this year it's been ridden to the MOT centre and back and to a garage to have a new tyre fitted and that's it:sad: I really should sell it, but I know I'll regret it as soon as I do...

How long before it becomes a classic and starts appeciating in value?!:smile:

About forty years.

My CB500 has done 172 miles in the past two and a half years.

Linford

A scooter is NOT a motorcycle.

377354_10151140339423704_617290553_n.jpg

Top speed on many is about 55mph, but a tuned one will pull 90-95mph. A friend of mine owns the black Lambretta 225 closest to the cam. I've ridden it and whilst the brakes and handling are quite 'inadequate', it actually was quite brisk when winding it on (the ZX6R 3 in is mine BTW).

Imagine a cruising speed averaging 35 mph, and then going to a weekend rally 250 miles away on one - many do, and to that end,
I would consider 'scooterists' to be more hardcore as 'bikers' than many supposed real 'bikers' I see on the roads. They need to take the safety gear a bit more seriously though ;)

There is also the minor detail that some of these scooters are worth upwards of £6k, with an engine rebuild costing a couple of grand when tuned up.

If I get an additional bike, it will be a Lambretta :becool:

I always wanted a Suzuki GT500. A big 2 stroke twin which was nowhere near the height of fashion but which had a reputation for just keeping going and going and going.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
I ride a 125 Varadero and I know that I initially move quicker than most other stationary things due to being light, including a 1000 fire blade that a friend has, however once he's actually moving he's straight past.

FTFY :thumbsup:

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Sadly, for all sorts of reasons, it's had very little use for the last 2 years. In fact, this year it's been ridden to the MOT centre and back and to a garage to have a new tyre fitted and that's it:sad: I really should sell it, but I know I'll regret it as soon as I do...

How long before it becomes a classic and starts appeciating in value?!:smile:
When I took my Laverda RGS Jota in for an MoT and the tester commented it had done precisely 20 miles since the last MoT I knew it was time to go. Like a fool I kept it for another six years before selling it.

Still, the current owner has fully restored it so if you see A3 JOT on the roads, give her a wave.

(She's a bitch and will try to kill you btw)

Linford

For me this

A 1964 GS160

web_DSC00387.jpg

or a 1966 SX200

060120107.JPG

I love all of this. Styling is everything on them. It you really want to go fast in a straight line, and around corners, get a modern sports bike. even my 600 has 108 bhp at the back wheel.and is very light. Just enjoy this type of scoot for what they are

I love all of this. Styling is everything on them. It you really want to go fast in a straight line, and around corners, get a modern sports bike. even my 600 has 108 bhp at the back wheel.and is very light. Just enjoy this type of scoot for what they are

Oh, yes. they are purely for having an enjoyable relaxing ride through some beautiful scenery - something my bike does very well also, although wind her on a bit and the bike offers a bit more handling than I imagine a scooter to do, but they do what they do with much more style.

is the arm coming forwards from the back on the scooters the kick start? I've always assumed it was...

Top Bottom