Ignorance, as an excuse

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
scoosh said:
I was behind a lady in a car today, who stopped in the Advanced Cycle Stop 'zone' at a junction :blush:. I was mildly inwardly indignant ;), when it occurred to me that there have been an amazing number of new road signs/lanes etc in the years since I passed my driving test.

Other than my having an interest in learning what they mean, there is no enforcaeble legal requirement/test for me to learn them.

A scary thought. :biggrin:

Such as? The big changes I can think of in the highway code are with respect to child seatbelt arrangements, mobility vehicles and mobile phones. Two of those things have been in for quite a few years in the Highway Code and people always pretend they are "new" when in fact they have history.

I'm sorry but I disagree about their being no legal requirement, it is stated very explicity in rule 109 of the Highway Code. You can't get much clearer than that.

With ASLs it's always interesting as in a number of places there's an urban myth that bus drivers are allowed and encouraged to use ASLs by bus companies from some mythical era from the past. It's always trotted out as excuses for their behaviour.

thomas said:
From the highway code "Signs with blue circles but no red border mostly give positive instruction."....

Precisely and that is what me and User3143 have said. If you bother to read the highway code you will see that some of these fictional "advisory" signs are actually backed up by law. I'd put your initial thoughts down to a possible typo, but you seem to just plain misunderstand. The advisory excuse is one trotted out by poor motorists wrt bus lanes and all sorts of other things.

Top Bottom