I'm getting slower, is it the cold?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Broadside

Guru
Same here, I am 1mph average slower in this cold weather, doesn't sound like much but it is a big difference. Keep on pushing through it and you will be laughing come springtime and in great shape to make the most of summer.

Hip Priest

Veteran
Winter rides are slower anyway. The roads are more likely to be slippy, so descents and corners are taken at lower speeds. This will affect your average.

Anyone else use Bontrager Race lights?

They feel really sticky after a dose of rain and get coated with grit. :surrender:
Actually the race lites which we have both been using for years are one of the best because they are very hard compound, crap at cornering but you just adjust accordingly. Best of all only 3 punctures in 5 years between the two of us, and one of those was a pinch flat, just don't tell anyone else or the price will go up................

D

Deleted member 1258

When its very cold my legs don't like spinning and can feel stiff, not what you want on a fixed wheel

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I made some notes from an article some time ago, (last winter I think). I can't remember where I got it from but it is a good explanation why muscles perform less well in the cold weather.
Here are the notes I took:-

At colder temperatures your muscles do not contract with the same intensity as they do in warmer temperatures. As the temperature gets colder your nervous system that transmits the impulses to move your muscles slows down. Since your muscle contractions are not as powerful as they are in warmer temperatures you slow down as a result. The cold can also reduce the blood flow to chilled areas of your body. Cold muscles can’t perform at the same level as a muscle that is warm.

The second reason for decreased pace is how your body uses energy at lower temperatures. As the temperature drops your body increases carbohydrate consumption as a source of fuel and reduces the reliance on fat consumption. As carbohydrates are an important source for energy for cycling you drain your reserves faster than you would at warmer temperatures. Your body also becomes less efficient in using oxygen as a fuel source resulting in more oxygen being used in cold conditions compared to the same effort in ideal conditions.

When cycling your body either operates in an aerobic or non aerobic state. In an aerobic state your body uses oxygen as a primary fuel source and it is very efficient in producing the energy needed for cycling.
When your pace is faster than your body can sustain aerobically your body taps the anaerobic system which does not use oxygen but instead breaks down carbohydrates to createlactic acid to fuel your cycling until a point is reached where the lactic acid build up slows your pace due to excess hydrogen byproducts.

As mentioned above your body consumes carbohydrates faster at lower temperatures which increases lactic acid production as a consequence. Since carbohydrates are burned faster at cold temperatures this increases the pace per mile that is sustainable at a given temperature. This is in addition to the disadvantage of having less efficient oxygen usage. In addition to your pace per mile being negatively impacted, there are other impacts to your performance when the temperature drops.

At lower temperatures your body has to work harder to maintain your core temperature. The result of this is more energy has to be expended simply for maintaining core temperature compared to ideal conditions or warm weather. This increased energy consumption comes at the expense of your cycling performance as less overall energy is available. Quite simply there are more demands for the same amount of available energy when it is cold.

When cycling in cold conditions it is important to keep your muscles warm and your core temperature maintained at all times. If you become chilled on a ride or allow yourself to cool down for any length of time your body is unable to get back to the prior temperature without returning to a warmer environment. As a result, your performance will suffer.
This is important when starting a ride. If you head into the cold and do not keep yourself warm and ready to go but allow yourself to cool down you will be at an even greater disadvantage that cannot be overcome. Allowing yourself to get to the point of shivering will quickly rob your body of energy as shivering is produced by your body engaging in the most inefficient muscle contractions it can to generate heat.

Hydration needs are impacted in colder conditions. When the temperature drops your blood pressure rises as your blood flow is constricted. To counter this your body removes excess water in the form of urine. In colder temperatures you do not sweat as much and your body does not trigger thirst the same way it does in warm conditions. As a result, it is very easy to become dehydrated.

Minimal intake of fluid can cause the feeling of needing to urinate, even if it is a small amount.The same rules apply for hydrating in cold weather as in warm weather:

I hope this will help in providing an explanation as to why your are slowing down in the cold weather.
This provides a plethora of handy excuses, useful for any club ride, racing event, or other cycling endeavor. I will be using this post for the entire season.
Chapeau, Biker Joe!

robjh

Legendary Member
I read the title as bring "I'm getting slower, is it because I'm old?"

The answer to that in my case, is yes.
If you get faster again next spring, will that mean you're getting younger?

sutts

I'm glad I am not the only one slowing down.
Me too! I was about 16 minutes outside my PB over 25 miles the other day. It seemed almost impossible to me as I looked at my watch and realised that I was some 3.5 miles away, when I previously would have been finished!! I was really up for it and I tried really hard...in light winds too!

Shortest day in a few weeks! :tongue:

Octet

Veteran
Yep, I'm getting slower for sure!

I also am finding myself panting (more than usual) when going up those three ruddy big consecutive hills on my morning commute.

Top Bottom