I'm getting slower, is it the cold?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
The wet,sometimes frosty unpredictable bends,the motorists not using side lights,the pedestrians and dog walkers wearing hard to see clothing. All mean covering the brakes more than in spring and summer for me. Hence the slower average speed,but i'm not bothered,i hear that some don't venture out from October till April!:giggle:

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
I had my full winter gear on today and was 1mph slower tban normal. It must be the extra weight and cold air too.

mattobrien

Guru
Joy, I was actually a bit quicker today than previous chilly rides and I have been off the bike for just over a week.

It was at least as cold, if not more, but it was slightly later in the day and my cycling mojo was with me (I think it has abandoned me last cold ride when I was thinking I should have been in bed).

Not massively fast, especially compared to warmer weather riding, but an improvement.

Might also have something to do with getting clothing right;
Sleeveless base layer
SS base layer
Jacket
Bib tights
Gloves, including wooly under gloves
Additional sock, strategically placed (not on either foot)

Actually quite looking forward to the next ride.

Skipper

Thanks for your post .......... and all of the replies. I ditto all of the above. 1-2mph slower on most rides. Though I was suffering from some bug, or just losing fitness, but it seems I'm not alone.

Leodis

Veteran
I am slowing down but been more careful as well, that said I got dropped on a hill where I could have easily have dropped the rider any other time of year, my legs just don't have it in them at the moment.

Top Bottom