I'm Wanting to buy a bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rowan112

hello i'm wanting to buy a bike mainly a hybrid bike so i'm not always restricted to the road encase i ever want to go off-road .
my issue is that i'm very heavy and i'm wanting to get a bike to lose weight and go to and from work which is 6 miles each way, i know it will be hard at first and i know i will have to get used to the bike before going to work in the bike.

i'm wanting to buy a bike that will not break because of my weight and non of the stores gives out information about max weight the bike can handle, i'm willing to go up to around £200 just for the bike it self. do you guys have any recommendations?

Last edited by a moderator:

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
At higher weights, any bike except a light-weight low-spoke road bike should be adequate. Check out this web site for advice:
http://39stonecyclist.com/am-i-too-heavy-for-a-bike/

The important bit is to get fit, enjoy your riding, get out more, and then concentrate on weight loss. Gaz (of the web site and this forum occasionally now) has some practical advice and shared experiences for you.

Oh, and tell those Dragons what they missed and buy yourself a FLAB cycling top.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Hi and :welcome: Rowan.

If buying new at that price you'll find bikes are much of a muchness - sturdy but heavy frames fitted with cheap but not necessarily cheerful components.

If it's possible to up your budget a bit, the bike that regularly gets a good mention at this level is the Carrera Subway from Halfords. They are currently showing at £250 on the website but may be worth keeping an eye on as they can often be reduced further in the near-permanent "sales".

OP
OP
R

rowan112

Hi and :welcome: Rowan.

If buying new at that price you'll find bikes are much of a muchness - sturdy but heavy frames fitted with cheap but not necessarily cheerful components.

If it's possible to up your budget a bit, the bike that regularly gets a good mention at this level is the Carrera Subway from Halfords. They are currently showing at £250 on the website but may be worth keeping an eye on as they can often be reduced further in the near-permanent "sales".
http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/hybrid-bikes/carrera-subway-2014-limited-edition-hybrid-bike this bike it's £200 nvm it's out of stock
http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bik...ossfire-1-hybrid-bike-2011-2012-large-19#tab2 what about that?
http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/hybrid-bikes/raleigh-edale-mens-hybrid-bike#tab2 what about that?

Last edited:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Interesting, the Subway didn't show up at £200 when I searched for it. Worth going for at that price when it does come back into stock.:thumbsup:

Out of the other two, I'm in two minds. Either should be reasonable for the money but I'd probably lean more towards the lighter and cheaper Crossfire this time even though I wouldn't usually recommend suspension forks for a bike that's mainly going to get on-road use.

OP
OP
R

rowan112

Interesting, the Subway didn't show up at £200 when I searched for it. Worth going for at that price when it does come back into stock.:thumbsup:

Out of the other two, I'm in two minds. Either should be reasonable for the money but I'd probably lean more towards the lighter and cheaper Crossfire this time even though I wouldn't usually recommend suspension forks for a bike that's mainly going to get on-road use.
ok why is the crossfire one worth more leaning to than the raleigh one beside the price diff which is only £20

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
ok why is the crossfire one worth more leaning to than the raleigh one beside the price diff which is only £20
It's 1.5kg lighter too (assuming Halfords are quoting the true weight). The components seem to be specced to much the same level and they are both respectible brands so I think you'd get on with either. It just depends whether you are bothered by that weight difference - if you're not, then I'd quite happily lean the other way as a rigid fork is less to to go wrong, less to maintain and more efficient to ride as you're not wasting energy bobbing the suspension up and down (particularly when climbing hills).

OP
OP
R

rowan112

It's 1.5kg lighter too (assuming Halfords are quoting the true weight). The components seem to be specced to much the same level and they are both respectible brands so I think you'd get on with either. It just depends whether you are bothered by that weight difference - if you're not, then I'd quite happily lean the other way as a rigid fork is less to to go wrong, less to maintain and more efficient to ride as you're not wasting energy bobbing the suspension up and down (particularly when climbing hills).
hmm i might get the raleight edale then unless you have any other bikes to recommend at that price

Saluki

World class procrastinator
You could probably get a Giant Yukon or a Giant Revel second hand if you do a bit of searching on Ebay/Gumtree or similar for your £200 unless you are soley looking for a new bike.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I would go first choice with the Carerra Subway IF you can get one and close second choice the Raleigh. Avoid cheap bikes with suspension like the plague.
The Subway benefits by having slightly more robust wheels and wider gear range over the Raleigh, but that's all.
Both Subway and Raleigh will get you going, be good to ride and both are seriously useful bikes for day to day usage at low cost.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
hmm i might get the raleight edale then unless you have any other bikes to recommend at that price
Just to add a bit of confusion, you could have a look at the range from Decathlon. This one: http://www.decathlon.co.uk/mens-nework-5-sport-bike-id_8222609.html is slightly more again, but comes with mudguards, a luggage rack and dynamo lighting, so actually saves a bit on the accessories.

It also has a better spec drivetrain than the Crossfire or the Edale (next level up in components and 24 speeds meaning it uses a freehub in the back wheel rather than the older style screw-on freewheel - see here for more info).

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

rowan112

Just to add a bit of confusion, you could have a look at the range from Decathlon. This one: http://www.decathlon.co.uk/mens-nework-5-sport-bike-id_8222609.html is slightly more again, but comes with mudguards, a luggage rack and dynamo lighting, so actually saves a bit on the accessories.

It also has a better spec drivetrain than the Crossfire or the Edale (next level up in components and 24 speeds meaning it uses a freehub in the back wheel rather than the older style screw-on freewheel - see here for more info).

hmm i might get that one, is there anything i would need to be road safety? i know i would need a helmet and safety jacket but anything else like anything for my bike and for my self?

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I think that the only other items to get you started that haven't already been mentioned are a puncture repair kit (with tyre levers), a spare tube or two, a pump, and a multitool (like this or similar).

You'll need a bag to carry them in and it's also well worth having a heavier duty track pump with a gauge to keep at home as the tyres will roll much better if kept properly inflated.

The tyres that come as standard on all of the bikes that have been mentioned will be from the basic end of the ranges so it will be worth practising taking the tyres off in case you do pick up a puncture on the road.

There are plenty of other desirable things I could mention but most of it you can get later on.

OP
OP
R

rowan112

thanks, i've already got a bag i use for carrying my work stuff in which is pretty big it self and i'm sure it can carry that stuff. the tubes which ones would i be looking for specifically?
and would i just get any normal basic puncture kit?

also would that bike be good going up hills? i live in sheffield and there are many hills but i would have to mainly climb up 2 hills.

also i've been told that riding a bike at my weight that i shouldn't pump the tires so much, so at what pressure should i put the tiers for my weight?

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Normal basic puncture kit is sufficient. Tubes - these are specific to the pump (valve type) and tyre (diameter and width, but come in ranges). Two valve types - presta and schrader. You will probably want a schrader, but check when you have bought your bike.

If you want a bike that is good going up hills, then you need either an electric assist bicycle or better legs. Otherwise, practice and fitness help. It will be tough to start with, but you will get better.
Never heard of pumping up tires less - this tends to lead to more punctures so I wouldn't recommend it.

Top Bottom