In praise of Ned Boulting...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
... on Radio Four this morning. Excellent. did anyone else hear it?

"Well, if cyclists ride the roads (of Surrey) like they have a sense of entitlement it might be because they are, well, entitled to ride on the road. Roads weren't built for cars."

Clearly all that time spent with Chris Boardman (and Carlton Reid) has rubbed off.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker

"Well, if cyclists ride the roads (of Surrey) like they have a sense of entitlement it might be because they are, well, entitled to ride on the road. Roads weren't built for cars."

Clearly all that time spent with Chris Boardman (and Carlton Reid) has rubbed off.
I missed that. What time was he on?

Fubar

Guru

I do like his books.

Keith Oates

Janner
Well spotted, it's really my time for bed. (Any excuse)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tim Hall

I listened to that. That nice Mr Boulting calmed me down, after hearing the lazy journalism piece that introduced him (Paddy O'Connel(?) on Box Hill with two frothing locals). Mind you Angela Epstein, who was presenting the counter argument to Ned Bolting's is a drivelling eejit.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Agree it is a sad state of affairs that it needs saying but we all know it does and regularly and still doesn't make much of a dent in the motor mindset.

So if it has to be said then someone personable, inteligent, articulate and something of a crossover presenter not just pigeonholed for cycling is the right person for the job. Go Ned.

Globalti

Legendary Member
They're all wrong. Most British roads were built for horses, which is why they are so narrow and twisty. From 1700 on turnpike roads were built for horses and carriages as Britain's economy grew and industrialised. Cars only came along late, in the 1900s. I'd say that loosely, the only roads built specifically for cars are the motorways and modern bypasses.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
With a slightly different emphasis, Ned's commentating in Eurosport's coverage of the London 6-day event right now. He's just done a very competent interview with Cavendish and he's keeping up a good commentary with Rob Hayles(?). http://cricfree.tv/euro-sports-live-stream It's good to see him develop into a good cycling commentator, and he uses the fact that he's more the enthusiast than the first rate cyclist very well.

Top Bottom