In praise of the Metropolitan Police

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mark Grant

Acting Captain of The St Annes Jombulance.
I was having a wander around Wimbledon car boot the other day and saw a woman recovering her sons Trek mountain bike. I later overheard a couple of traders saying that 3 stolen bikes had turned up that morning. There were at least one PC and a couple of PCSO's walking about the market.

Mark.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Shame this only happens in London............ it's gone in Manchester..........

Fantastic result though.....wow ! Phew for the owners....

actonblue

Über Member
Fantastic news. I know through Charlotte's blog how lovingly and painstakingly some of those bikes were put together.
What great news. Chapeau!

Tinuts

Wham Bam Helmet Cam
Perusing Charlotte's blog, it sounds like there are more and better reasons to avoid taking insurance with Aviva than just their painfully annoying tv adverts

"We're not on prick comparison web sites"
Having had to deal with the previous version of Aviva (before they changed their name - I wonder why) in my dealings with "CTC lawyers vs the prat who knocked me off my bike" I came to the conclusion that this is one company with whom I'd never deal. They pulled every trick they could think of to delay matters, only settling just before the whole business would have come to court. A***holes of the premiere division, imho.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
it's in Cycle Chat. How prominent can you get??

I was thinking 'Bike Squad' the series starring Leslie Nielesen (and then I realised he's sadly no longer amongst us) ....

But it's great news.

Would the story having higher profile be of benefit or not?
On the one-hand it might stop people fencing bikes via ebay which would restrict the theives options to sell (and make innocents aware of the bargain ebay bike), but would also make it harder for us and Bike-Squad to find the bastards.

Damn, I've got the Police Squad theme in my head now.

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
Ah, my reading comprehension failed as well, I thought it was Aviva's bad, too. AXA have been really good over our pet insurance (so far).

Am about to go over our household insurance with a fine toothcomb..

the thing is this - people say that the Met doesn't care about bike crime. That's nonsense. Titus and his merry crew, who, as some of you will know, are all keen cyclists, work round the clock on bike crime. They use their intelligence, act with speed and imagination and they get results.

It's up to us to help. Which one of us has not left a bike in a silly location? Do we have good quality photographs of our bikes? Do we have the serial numbers to hand (sadly there are no serial numbers on some bikes....)?

The real a***holes are the people who phone a mobile number, go to a tube station and part with money for a bike that they must realise is stolen. Without buyers the thieves would have no incentive to steal. When I read 'I just bought a Boardman Comp for £250' I have to take a short walk to calm down........

Me too. What a waste of £250.

Seriously though, I've long welcomed the advent of coppers on bikes. These guys will spend several years cycling around London, and then as they move up the command structure and start influencing policy and practice will be much more aware of cyclists and cycling issues. THis is an early example. Good stuff.

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
This is excellent news- my heart sank when I read on here and facebook that you'd had five taken (Cayopro- I really hope you get some joy with yours) and it's good work done - more than can be said with my appalling experiences with the Met in regards to bikes.

Top Bottom