Incident on my ride today with a motorist

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
James,

You are reporting it which is the correct thing to do.

You also have realistic expectations as to what the police may - or may not - do.

That's also good.

Let the police deal with it, don't let it take over your life.

wait4me

Veteran
All the above answers are fine but what exactly was he yelling about ? Give everybody some facts to judge on. You say you pulled out to prevent anyone overtaking - was it then, did you just swing out infront as he was about to pass ? Strangely people don't usually start screaming abuse unless they think they have a reason.

You need to get out more

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
All the above answers are fine but what exactly was he yelling about ? Give everybody some facts to judge on. You say you pulled out to prevent anyone overtaking - was it then, did you just swing out infront as he was about to pass ? Strangely people don't usually start screaming abuse unless they think they have a reason.

What he wanted to know from the rest of us was should he report it and the concensus is yes.

I'm sure the police will go over all the details with him; he doesn't need to be judged by you.

GC

You're doing the right thing by reporting it and in doing so you could be preventing a serious incident in the future. If the police do speak to him the at the very least he may think next time.
I actually bought a "head cam" after a close shave with a taxi driver and it does seem to make some people think twice before doing something stupid.
Main thing is to keep your cool and don't overreact when situations like this do occur.

OP
OP
J

JamesMayesUK

Regular
You're doing the right thing by reporting it and in doing so you could be preventing a serious incident in the future. If the police do speak to him the at the very least he may think next time.
I actually bought a "head cam" after a close shave with a taxi driver and it does seem to make some people think twice before doing something stupid.
Main thing is to keep your cool and don't overreact when situations like this do occur.
May I ask what camera you've got? I've seen gopros but they're too expensive considering my age (although I'll end up getting a gopro or similar in the not so distant future, no doubt).

May I ask what camera you've got? I've seen gopros but they're too expensive considering my age (although I'll end up getting a gopro or similar in the not so distant future, no doubt).

I've got a one of these and its been excellent for commuting, battery lasts about 2-2.5 hours and more discreet than a go pro.
If you want a go pro but not sure if you want to spend all the cash then these always seem to get good reviews.

FastFlyer

Regular
This entire cycling forum really puts me off riding! I wonder why I still go out sometimes.

Nobody's fault from on here of course, just the oxygen thieves of the world.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Yes report it but even if you remember the entire registration number, do not expect too much. The driver is a moron and a visit from the police will not make him any less of a moron.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
This entire cycling forum really puts me off riding! I wonder why I still go out sometimes.

Nobody's fault from on here of course, just the oxygen thieves of the world.
Oh 99% of the time, it's fine, but when you ride as much as this forum does, you're going to hit the 1% sometimes and you'll always hear about the 1% of mad stuff and the 1% of brilliant stuff but not the 98% routine, so it gives a strange picture.

My ride home today was 1%. The last leg was all small streets (the Rivers route) and then cycle tracks along the A148 and A10 (the King route). The small streets were fine but then a Royal Mail van was driven off the A148 up the kerb onto the cycle track in front of me and stopped just before a blind brow (but it's OK - it had its park-anywhere lights on), then a nobber in a blue BMW (I think) couldn't be bothered waiting a few seconds for someone turning right off the A10, so they mounted the kerb and used the cycle track as an extra lane to get past, apparently oblivious to my presence so I yanked the brakes.

Quite luckily given how old and tired my camera battery is, I got the Royal Mail van on video and tweeted this freeze-frame, so that's being dealt with...
PostOff.jpg

Top Bottom