Incompetent garages!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
U

User33236

Mrs SG had her car booked in today at a local 'authorised dealer' for its MOT. Late this afternoon she got a call to basically say 'All done, ready for you to pick and passed as expected'.

So off she goes to collect it and pay the fee. The individual dealing with her folds up her paperwork, sticks it in the service book and hands it so her. No mention at all of any problems. When she gets home she immediately goes to put the service book back in it's 'usual place'. Me, simply being curious, asks to see the MOT certificate to read what, if anything, has been put on as an advisory. I was surprised to see that what she had was a 'Refusal of an MOT Test Certificate' for 'Exhaust system not adequately supported'.

My immediate thought was that they had handed her the wrong piece of paper and had sorted the issue and passed it on a retest. You be sure though I checked online. No sign of a retest and only the 'fail' showing.

Mrs SG is not a happy bunny and will be having words with the 'dealer' tomorrow! All I can say is it was a good job I was curious!

Last edited by a moderator:

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Might just be a simple mistake, we all make 'em, give them a chance to sort it out, that's the sign of a good company.

OP
OP
U

User33236

Might just be a simple mistake, we all make 'em, give them a chance to sort it out, that's the sign of a good company.

I am hoping so hence I have no intention of naming and shaming. The lack on an entry on the online MOT history checker for a 'pass' make me doubtful though. As it stands, if I understand it correctly, she cannot legally drive her car unless to a booked MOT because of the failed status.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chris S

Legendary Member
As it stands, if I understand it correctly, she cannot legally drive her car unless to a booked MOT because of the failed status.
Is there any time left on the old MOT?

Anyway, the worst experience I had with a garage was with Lex In Moseley (it's now changed hands). They failed my car on the rear brakes which I'd paid them to replace at the previous service!

OP
OP
U

User33236

Mrs SG called the garage today.

Apparently it was a difference of opinion between two testers! The one that called her had passed it but got called to an urgent job before putting it on the PC. A second tester picked up the work and failed it.

Tester one handed car over without checking paperwork assuming tester two had also passed it!

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
I once spent £700 (over a few visits) trying to get Ford to sort out an issue with a car that kept cutting out, randomly, and needed tows to the garage. They couldn't sort it, and just told me it was an old car, and that was what to expect. In the end, an RAC man identified the issue as a simple fuse, costing about a fiver, and which I changed myself.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
I once spent £700 (over a few visits) trying to get Ford to sort out an issue with a car that kept cutting out, randomly, and needed tows to the garage. They couldn't sort it, and just told me it was an old car, and that was what to expect. In the end, an RAC man identified the issue as a simple fuse, costing about a fiver, and which I changed myself.

Should have let Miss Goodbody take a look, she's got a lot of experience with old Corsairs.

Drago

Legendary Member
Report it to the DVSA. The tester is responsible for the whole test an paperwork, and handing it over prior to completion to another tester who has not conducted the full test themselves is unacceptable.

albion

Guru
Fault 'diagnosis' for most garages seems to be 'change a component and hope that fixes it'.

If it doesn't, repeat the process, charging the customer each time.
Yes, i can confirm that is how most operate. I have even had service garages telling me my brake discs are worn, and on checking with a guage myself, found 2 years+ of life left.

Obviously, drive 5 miles from new and they are thus worn!

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Mrs SG called the garage today.

Apparently it was a difference of opinion between two testers! The one that called her had passed it but got called to an urgent job before putting it on the PC. A second tester picked up the work and failed it.

Tester one handed car over without checking paperwork assuming tester two had also passed it!
That is total b******s, Another tester cannot take over part way through a test.

Drago

Legendary Member
They did then worn brake disc thing to my Dad, so when he went to collect the car he called the bloke outside and showed him with a digital vernier what the thickness was.

The bloke then started getting arsey along the "what do you know about it anyway?" Lines, upon which me Dad suggested that degrees in Automotive Engineering and Metallurgy meant he knew rather a lot about it, thank you very much.

Volvo paid for that service and the next one by way of an apology.

OP
OP
U

User33236

That is total b******s, Another tester cannot take over part way through a test.
Apologies. Perhaps my previous post was not written as well as it could have been

My understanding is that the first 'pass' test was completed, but not recorded, due to the tester being called away. The second 'fail' test was carried out, in full, by a second person.

Top Bottom