increased mph!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
I did a quick 12 mile ride this afternoon, on the drops most of the way and bettered my average speed by 1.5mph! I usually ride on the hoods most of the time.
On the drops, I can honestly say that I felt I could transfer more down power in my legs so it works well.
The downside is that I now have a backache but it should be ok by morning. :bicycle:

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
i think riding on the hoods is a lot more comfy than the drops also feels safer with more control

jonathanw

Chorlton and the Wheelies
Too many variables

Wind, terrain, nutrition, tiredness etc etc

Plot your progress over the months and seasons to see if it really is the drops. It may well be, but just experiment..... And most of all....enjoy

Paul J

I seem to get backache as well if I use the drops. I only tend to use them if I am riding into the wind, rest of time on hoods.

Michaelt

I tried this last night on the way home, only did ten miles, but I found that my average speed was higher as well as my average cadence, I barely even noticed slight inclines.

OP
OP
gavroche

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
I have not been out since then as i am waiting for my back to get better which it practically is now, so will be out at week-end if weather holds. This time, I will do my normal stand using mainly hoods as it is a lot more comfortable. Mind you , if another rider overtakes me, then I might change my mind...? ( all depends how much faster he /she is going and how much younger).:whistle:

jud

rarely use drops even when people pass me - back hurts

Yeah, permanently in the drops doesn't work for me either. Also, unless it's significantly windy, I find it harder to climb in the drops. It may all be in my head but I find it easier to apply more power with my body weight upright...?

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I only use the drops if i am into a headwind or taking a long pull at the front of the club run at what i call decent speed otherwise i stay on the hoods and bend my arms more to rest the tops of my forearms across the handle bars.I can ride a fair few miles on the drops if i have too though.
What sort of drop from saddle to handlebar have you got? i see a lot of people with a lot of height difference when they could be more effeicient with drop of 0 or a few inches and develop more power overcoming any aero disadvanatage that they may incur.

Top Bottom