Inputting GPS coordinates to find on a map.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
It'll depend on what needs to be done and how the trees are planted won't it? If there are three trees in the same 10m square then deciding which is appropriate in a satellite image will be difficult but if you're actually visiting the site and they are all different species you should be able to see which you want.

I have experience of managing wildlife data using grid refs so a couple of things to be aware of:
* people can easily get a couple of digits reversed which may give you a completely different location
* I suspect your grid refs were collected using GPS software, sometimes people move along to the next item (in your case a tree) and record the location before the GPS has updated. So you end up with a number of trees all at the same point!

I love maps & grid refs.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
If you post it into the OS map app it will take you straight there

1701889209434.png

1701889295557.png

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
It's been around for ever, but if you take the spaces out of your grid ref (so SJ 79854 67142 becomes SJ7985467142), you can plug the result into streetmap.co.uk

Also works well with less precision, so SJ798671 will come up with more or less the same location.

OP
OP
Tail End Charlie

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
It'll depend on what needs to be done and how the trees are planted won't it? If there are three trees in the same 10m square then deciding which is appropriate in a satellite image will be difficult but if you're actually visiting the site and they are all different species you should be able to see which you want.

I have experience of managing wildlife data using grid refs so a couple of things to be aware of:
* people can easily get a couple of digits reversed which may give you a completely different location
* I suspect your grid refs were collected using GPS software, sometimes people move along to the next item (in your case a tree) and record the location before the GPS has updated. So you end up with a number of trees all at the same point!

I love maps & grid refs.

All good points, thankyou again. The Grab a Grid you suggested gives me enough detail, as you say once on the ground I can search for the actual tree if I'm within less than 10m.

Top Bottom