Insurance claim

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jbevuk

HI, I recently had my bike stolen. it was a gt aggressor zum2 http://www.thebikelist.co.uk/gt/gt-zum-s2-2009 it cost £419.00 and I really liked this bike and was kept in perfect condition. problem is the insurance company thinks a voodoo Marasa priced at 279.99. is a like for like replacement. I don't like the look of this bike and I also feel like the quality of my old bike was higher. but I'm by no way an expert on them. Could I please ask your opinion on whether you think this is a fair like for like swap?

Thank you for your time.
Jonathan

Do the insurance company replace "new for old" - I. E. They replace without taking depreciation into account, or are they allowed to value your 420 from new bike as a 300ish second hand bike, which seems about reasonable...

I haven't gone down in detail, but the spec of both bikes seem very similar (tektro brakes, shimano acera gears) so I don't think they will be very different to be honest - definitely competing in the same league at the very worst!

However, if the insurance day they replace new for old, stick with your guns and look for a bike priced at 420

Paul99

Über Member
HI, I recently had my bike stolen. it was a gt aggressor zum2 http://www.thebikelist.co.uk/gt/gt-zum-s2-2009 it cost £419.00 and I really liked this bike and was kept in perfect condition. problem is the insurance company thinks a voodoo Marasa priced at 279.99. is a like for like replacement. I don't like the look of this bike and I also feel like the quality of my old bike was higher. but I'm by no way an expert on them. Could I please ask your opinion on whether you think this is a fair like for like swap?

Thank you for your time.
Jonathan
They are probably looking at a like for like on spec and so it is reasonably close.

If you are not happy with it, don't accept it.

vickster

Legendary Member
My insurance company gave me a cheque for the cost of the bike and accessories. Say you'd like to source your own replacement

Don't forget to factor in any policy excess

OP
OP
jbevuk

jbevuk

Thank you for your replies. I have now told them I don't want that one. and they are going to get back to me in 24 hours but I get the feeling that's the one I'm going to get. I feel that my old bike was worth more than that. But maybe that is just my attachment to it. My policy booklet says " We will replace it with a new pedal cycle, or pay the cost of replacement as new if available, or the nearest equivalent, less any discounts available".

Top Bottom