Insurance, illegality and horses...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
A horse has got a mind of its own. It doesnt need a rider on to get out of a Field and cause havoc. For that purpose it needs insurance. That insurance also covers it for a load of other things. Some owners buy horses to be companions for other animals, never intended to be ridden but still need insurance.

PK99

Legendary Member
I had a look (admittedly cursory) and didn't see any mention of insurance

Bear in mind a horse is not (in law) a "dangerous" animal thus liability would require negligence or blame, so merely the horse panicing would likely not mean liabilty unless rider was doing something stupid - strict liability is reserved for "dangerous" animals (presumably lions and the like)

Not so - see my other post

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
A horse has got a mind of its own. It doesnt need a rider on to get out of a Field and cause havoc. For that purpose it needs insurance. That insurance also covers it for a load of other things. Some owners buy horses to be companions for other animals, never intended to be ridden but still need insurance.
Needs as in it's a good idea, not needs as in the law dictates.

(Declaration of interest - I work for a company which sells equine insurance. Disclaimer - I'm not a lawyer. Do not rely on what I say, which is not advice.)

OP
OP
SavageHoutkop

SavageHoutkop

Veteran
...to my other point, "if someone is insured currently (be it car / bike / horse whatever) are they actually covered for 3rd party damage if riding illegally? My initial thought here was drink driving, but it could also apply to speeding."

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I don't think there is a legal requirement to have insurance.

There isnt a legal obligation. But all the horse owners I have ever known, know how expensive it can be if an accident does happen. And in stables, they happen often. It simply does not make sense not to insure your horse.

OP
OP
SavageHoutkop

SavageHoutkop

Veteran
But who is liable in the case of riding a friend's horse? The owner or the rider?

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
...to my other point, "if someone is insured currently (be it car / bike / horse whatever) are they actually covered for 3rd party damage if riding illegally? My initial thought here was drink driving, but it could also apply to speeding."

Some insurance companies did start introducing clauses relating to paying out if you were under the influence of drink or drugs, but it was found to be unworkable as insurance companies could impose all sorts of clauses, and it was fundamentally wrong when you consider what and why you pay for insurance so these clauses were removed from policies. However, it is still worth checking your policy carefully.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
There isnt a legal obligation. But all the horse owners I have ever known, know how expensive it can be if an accident does happen. And in stables, they happen often. It simply does not make sense not to insure your horse.

I agree with you, as I said in my posts above, surely anyone In control of such a large animal would want to take out insurance just in case.

compo

Veteran
Harlow is totally infested with gypsies at present. They are all over the place. Their horses have caused accidents when they slip their collars and they wander onto the road. They are not insured and the travellers simply deny all knowledge of the horse involved so the council is left with the cost of disposal.

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
A car insurer can refuse to pay for own vehicle damage if policy conditions are breached. This can include instances where insured is over DD limit. It cannot avoid liabilities to third parties. It can though seek to recover any damages paid out from its insured in event of breach of policy conditions.

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
Nearly every farmer will have insurance to cover themselved for any damage caused by any of their animals. On or off the road.

@young Ed, how's your farm stock covered?

young Ed

Veteran
Nearly every farmer will have insurance to cover themselved for any damage caused by any of their animals. On or off the road.

@young Ed, how's your farm stock covered?
i'm not covered for my stock as it is because it wouldn't be worth it so instead i make sure my perimeter fence is okay and have a very good electric fence to keep them in and i don't have any footpaths on our land
but in a year or two when i hope to start renting various bits of land and increasing to a real size flock i will insure through NFU mutual for 3rd party so if any rams escape and butt someone or if any escape and get hit by car and damage said car they should pay out and i'm not sure if they will also cover for sheep rustling

as is we have insurance for buildings and contents on fire and theft through NFU mutual
Cheers Ed

Top Bottom