Insurance

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi,

Loved cycling all my life but only been commuting since this summer. Doing around 25 miles a day now and have already had a couple of close shaves in the mornings with drivers who were presumably still half-asleep and failed to see me despite flashing lights, lumo vest etc...

Anyway, I'd never heard of bike insurance for anything other than theft, but reading about some accidents on here and given my recent experiences I wonder if it's something I ought to consider.
I presume my house and contents insurance would cover me against bike theft, but not damage in an accident? And separate bike insurance would also pay out for treatment of any injuries I might incur in an accident?
But then unless the accident is my fault, surely any claim would be on the driver's insurance anyway, so I wouldn't need my own insurance?

Do most riders on here have it? If so is that mainly as a precaution in case a driver causes an accident and you can't get his details?

On a separate matter, I'm getting a new bike on the C2W scheme - do I need to let my home insurer know about this to make sure it's covered for theft, or will by employer need to insure it, as it will technically be theirs?

Thanks, and sorry if this all sounds ridiculously naive!

vickster

Legendary Member
British cycling member here, legal cover if self or bike damaged and its someone else's fault, also 3rd party liability if I damage someone else or their property and it's my fault

Currently making use of the first...worth every penny (£32 a year)...other benefits too. CTC membership offers similar benefits and LCC

On the bike insurance, check the terms of your home. Insurance, you may need to declare bikes etc. accidental damage to the bike may be covered, again check your policy. Yes, if c2w it's very sensible to have the bike covered or you could be paying for something you no longer have. It's your responsibility, you are hiring it from the company ( as you would need to insure a hired car)

Sharky

Guru
CTC or BC both offer third party insurance and have a legal service which will help you claim ( I know!) if you are in an accident. There are lots of other law firms that would probably offer the same service, but it is comforting to know there is one ready and waiting for members.

I've never bothered with insuring my bikes as I have too many, but would try the house contents if they were stolen. When I am out, never leave the bike unattended.

I am a ctc member and apart from the insurance side, their magazine isn't bad either.

Keith

OP
OP
EasyPeez

EasyPeez

Veteran
Brilliant, thanks to both of you. It's past my bedtime now so I'll look at that sticky over the weekend and check out the CTC and BC membership offers and stick an annual membership to one or the other on my Christmas list.

Cheers, have a good weekend.

vickster

Legendary Member
I wouldnt wait until Christmas to get covered if you are riding such distances evey day. Having been quite badly injured in an accident I wouldn't be without legal cover

OP
OP
EasyPeez

EasyPeez

Veteran
I wouldnt wait until Christmas to get covered if you are riding such distances evey day. Having been quite badly injured in an accident I wouldn't be without legal cover

Fair point, I'll get it sorted this weekend. Thanks for your advice and for directing me to the very informative sticky.

I've got both BC and LVRC insurance. BC also gives a 10% discount at Halfords, which applies to anything in store.

The bikes are covered on the house insurance.
What's the point in having 2 lots of cover, DC? Surely you can only claim on one policy in the event of an accident?

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
What's the point in having 2 lots of cover, DC? Surely you can only claim on one policy in the event of an accident?

BC and LVRC racing licences - so both come with insurance.

Top Bottom