Intermittent Chain slip

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ajax Bay

Guru
No way will a new chain by itself do (see mileage): not even worth trying to "fit the chain and see how it goes". Press of the the pedals and it will slip. This cassette and chain have aged together and given excellent service.
We await Andy's measurement of the % elongation. I shall guess way over 1%.

Thanks for the responses. I was pretty sure it was 'only' wear, although I have to admit I was startled when I worked out how long ago I'd last changed the chain and how many miles it had done in the meantime.

It looks like I'll have to go to the local bike shop. Oh, wait...

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Thanks for the responses. I was pretty sure it was 'only' wear, although I have to admit I was startled when I worked out how long ago I'd last changed the chain and how many miles it had done in the meantime.

It looks like I'll have to go to the local bike shop. Oh, wait...

You sound like a man who needs a spreadsheet :tongue:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
No way will a new chain by itself do (see mileage): not even worth trying to "fit the chain and see how it goes". Press of the the pedals and it will slip. This cassette and chain have aged together and given excellent service.
I made that mistake once. I put a new chain on my bike just before I was to ride Spring Into The Dales, a tough local 110 km audax route with over 2,200 m of ascent. I didn't even get as far as the first hill - the chain slipped twice on my 1 km flat ride to the start! I limped home and swapped bikes...

Ajax Bay

Guru
I thought I'd changed a chain early enough once: but half way into a 100 miler: the first time I applied a bit of power in the middle of the cassette it started slipping.
Completed by using the top 2 and bottom 2 sprockets only (which weren't slipping), driven by a 52-42-30 triple. Within the 27"-127" range, that meant a 'bit of a jump' from 52" to 68" in the middle and some double shifting either end. Doable, on the hills and flats of the Isle of Purbeck.
Have not risked that again.

Top Bottom