Internet Drops out

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Downward

Guru
For some reason if I don't use the Internet for 2 mins + it won't work.
My Wireless is all fine and if I'm downloading it doesn't get interrupted.
We are on Sky and a few weeks back BT repaired our Phone line outside as it was not working properly.

Had a similar problem a while back with a fractured outside phone cable, when it was cold/wet would fail. If the phone line is 'crackling' then this could be the problem.
Took ages to get it sorted out since it was a case of proving where the fault was.

It might be worth trying a different modem/router if the phone line is OK.
Try changing channels on your WiFI in case there is cross interference from a neighbour.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I had something similar happen after I plugged an old phone in downstairs. (the other two phones are upstairs and I can't hear them ringing if the doors upstairs are closed). It took me a while to realise that the problem was due to forgetting to install an ADSL filter between the socket and the phone. I've unplugged that phone now and all the broadband problems have gone away.

OP
OP
Downward

Downward

Guru
Big coincidence that it's only started happening since BT fixed the line.
Getting them to admit any problem is gonna be a pain.
I will however ask my BT engineer next door what he thinks !

soulful dog

Veteran
First thing to do when trying to sort out any connection issues is to plug your router into the master socket and unplug all your phones from it and any extensions. That's the first thing Sky will ask you to do if you have the misfortune of having to phone up for support! If the problem doesn't reoccur when you do this, try plugging in your phones one at a time. It may just be an ADSL filter needing replaced and this might help you find it.

Mind you, if the connection drops after a period of inactivity, and especially if it's a fairly set time like after 2 minutes or 5 minutes, the first thing I'd check is to see if there are any Idle Timeout settings in your router's settings.

Top Bottom