Interview help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 3026799, member: 1314"]Pale Rider does REAL men's work as opposed to that nonsense stuff effeminates do at Uni. 'co he is a man's man and tells it like it

I apologise. It was meant at @PaleRider's lazy pub boor dismissal of the arts and for some absurd reason dragging Oscar Wilde into it.
Unfortunately there’s a disproportionate percentage of unreconstructed peeps on here - on this occasion I wanted to challenge his lazy assertion and so called on him on it.[/QUOTE]

Oscar Wilde was an aesthete and one of the leading lights of the aesthetic movement.

Looks to me like it could be relevant to a question on aesthetics.

As regards your now repeated name calling of me, each of your assertions is incorrect.

You are no more than an ignorant keyboard warrior, because trust me, you wouldn't speak to me like that if we met and you value your health.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
You are no more than an ignorant keyboard warrior, because trust me, you wouldn't speak to me like that if we met and you value your health.

Pot, kettle, black.

When an argument descends into threats of violence the argument is lost.

OP
OP
ScotiaLass

ScotiaLass

Guru
I've got mad good aesthetic skills so here are some random thoughts!

Back your portfolio up with the confidence it deserves. Don't take too many pieces, I'd say between 7 - 12 should be enough for an interview.

Be absolutely ruthless with yourself about what is actually your best work - do you know someone who can look it through without having pre-judged it/know what you think is best? I learned (the hard way) that one poor bit of work can knacker an otherwise excellent representation of your abilities.

Don't be afraid to admit your weaknesses, you are there to learn after all.

You might be asked about who you consider as an inspiration or whose work you admire. Do a bit of research into them. I was asked once and said 'Saul Bass' - at the time I had no reason for this other than I thought his work was 'cool'...

Present your work properly. Don't go with some sh!tey bits of paper all flapping around. Get your pictures properly printed and mounted onto card. Don't go for a ridiculously sized print either - A3 is fine. You can carry the folio easily and won't be wrestling with a gigantic thing which turns into a sail.

Rehearse your presentation. You are, for want of a better phrase, selling yourself to these folk.

That's about all I can think of.

Good luck!
Thanks for that.
They have specific guidelines on what to bring, which I have followed.
Maximum of 20 photographs, preferable themed/part of a project.
I have taken a set of 10, which were shot on 35mm B&W film and hand printed in the darkroom. This was a project which was different and taken under challenging conditions. I was granted permission from the British Army on the condition I did not post the images online or exhibit them (using them for this purpose is fine).
The other 10 are part of my HND work - a documentary. I gained a B+ for that project.
All are mounted with bevel cut mounts and backing boards and fit into my portfolio case nicely :smile:
I have spent time on my personal statement, so fingers crossed!

I studied many documentary photographers, and found a few I liked and have read about them so will just brush up on that (my memory can be wobbly sometimes!).

Last edited:
OP
OP
ScotiaLass

ScotiaLass

Guru
[QUOTE 3026799, member: 1314"]Pale Rider does REAL men's work as opposed to that nonsense stuff effeminates do at Uni. 'co he is a man's man and tells it like it

I apologise. It was meant at @PaleRider's lazy pub boor dismissal of the arts and for some absurd reason dragging Oscar Wilde into it.
Unfortunately there’s a disproportionate percentage of unreconstructed peeps on here - on this occasion I wanted to challenge his lazy assertion and so called on him on it.[/QUOTE]
If it was aimed at another post why did you insult me?
People with a degree of intelligence will have a constructive argument, instead of descending into personal insults.

AndyRM

XOXO
Thanks for that.
They have specific guidelines on what to bring, which I have followed.
Maximum of 20 photographs, preferable themed/part of a project.
I have taken a set of 10, which were shot on 35mm B&W film and hand printed in the darkroom. This was a project which was different and taken under challenging conditions. I was granted permission from the British Army on the condition I did not post the images online or exhibit them (using them for this purpose is fine).
The other 10 are part of my HND work - a documentary. I gained a B+ for that project.
All are mounted with bevel cut mounts and backing boards and fit into my portfolio case nicely :smile:
I have spent time on my personal statement, so fingers crossed!

I studied many documentary photographers, and found a few I liked and have read about them so will just brush up on that (my memory can be wobbly sometimes!).

Sounds like you'll scoosh the interview! You seem very well prepared and know what you're on about.

Good luck, let us know how you get on.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I have an interview next week for a BA course.
I'm all set but there are a couple of things on their advice sheet which I may be asked, that I'm not sure about.
Any lecturers/ Uni students here care to point me in the right direction?

The two I'm stuck on are:
1. What personal qualities and aesthetic skills do you have that will lead to your success on the course?
WTF are aesthetic skills?

2. What do you think that YOU would contribute to our degree programme?
Replying 'I don't know' may not be the answer they want to hear!

Just another thought on this - and I'm sure you have thought it through in any case, but just sayin' like....

Assuming you've blitzed the interview, consider what you will get out of this course. As a BA course, it'll presumably be costing you a considerable amount of money, both in fees, and a greater sum in lost wages as well as 3 years of your life. You could easily be talking £60k to £100k total if you're hard-nosed about it. If it is an intellectual exercise - pursuing a dream if you like, then good for you - if you can afford it, great - go for it..... but if you think it may give you a new career - presumably as a photographer, then I'd get some proper advice from several people actually in the trade - it's a "results" oriented trade, with a good bit of luck / contacts / who you know as well - so just getting a degree won't necessarily even get your foot in the door. Compounding this, there are a lot of talented amateurs, and non-talented amateurs who think it's easy and are not inclined to pay (their own or their firm's money) on it as a service.

Like I say, if you've worked it all out, and it's a "dream" so to speak - then great, but do make sure your eyes are open. Sorry if I'm teaching grandmother to suck eggs here.

Best of luck with it whatever you decide.

Canrider

Guru
The HND could (should) be counted as transfer credits towards the degree, depending on what the HND was in and what the university will allow it could count for as much as two full years of BA study.

OP
OP
ScotiaLass

ScotiaLass

Guru
Just another thought on this - and I'm sure you have thought it through in any case, but just sayin' like....

Assuming you've blitzed the interview, consider what you will get out of this course. As a BA course, it'll presumably be costing you a considerable amount of money, both in fees, and a greater sum in lost wages as well as 3 years of your life. You could easily be talking £60k to £100k total if you're hard-nosed about it. If it is an intellectual exercise - pursuing a dream if you like, then good for you - if you can afford it, great - go for it..... but if you think it may give you a new career - presumably as a photographer, then I'd get some proper advice from several people actually in the trade - it's a "results" oriented trade, with a good bit of luck / contacts / who you know as well - so just getting a degree won't necessarily even get your foot in the door. Compounding this, there are a lot of talented amateurs, and non-talented amateurs who think it's easy and are not inclined to pay (their own or their firm's money) on it as a service.

Like I say, if you've worked it all out, and it's a "dream" so to speak - then great, but do make sure your eyes are open. Sorry if I'm teaching grandmother to suck eggs here.

Best of luck with it whatever you decide.
It's all sorted. I know the business, thanks.

Top Bottom