Iron Curtain Trail (Cycle Route)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi

I was wondering if anyone has any experience of the Iron Curtain Trail which is a long distance cycle route from the Barents sea (close to Kirkenes in the north of Norway) to the Black Sea (close to Carevo in Turkey/Bulgarian coast on the Black Sea).

Other than what I have been able to find on their website - there is very little literature about the trail (English version of the website).

Has anyone cycled any of it?

I am specifically looking at the northern section (only literature/maps), but I am also interested in the other sections - currently we are setting out west to Ireland then north Scotland, then picking up the North Sea Cycle Route and carrying on north up to Nordkapp (Norway) before setting out south via the Iron Curtain Trail down the Norwegian/Russian and Finnish/Russian border. (off to cycle around the world)

thanks
Emma

Hi

I was wondering if anyone has any experience of the Iron Curtain Trail which is a long distance cycle route from the Barents sea (close to Kirkenes in the north of Norway) to the Black Sea (close to Carevo in Turkey/Bulgarian coast on the Black Sea).

Other than what I have been able to find on their website - there is very little literature about the trail (English version of the website).

Has anyone cycled any of it?

I am specifically looking at the northern section (only literature/maps), but I am also interested in the other sections - currently we are setting out west to Ireland then north Scotland, then picking up the North Sea Cycle Route and carrying on north up to Nordkapp (Norway) before setting out south via the Iron Curtain Trail down the Norwegian/Russian and Finnish/Russian border. (off to cycle around the world)

thanks
Emma

Looks a interesting project, I think I might look moor at that as I had not heard of it before.

Klaus

The former border strip between East and West Germany is now, in most parts, a nature reserve.
It's popular with both walkers and cyclists. As far as I know it's not been signed as a cycleway, and some of the infrastructure is from the original border installation and not always easy to cycle on (watched a programme on German TV about this). Have found a German website which reviews the "Border Post Trophy", some sort of MTB challenge: http://www.radtouren.de/grenzsteintrophy.html. Only in German
Might be of help.

Having looked at the website, it seems like this is a work in progress rather than a finished route. It certainly looks interesting though. From a colleague who used to work in Lithuania, apparently the country is in a state of economic meltdown and is practically paralysed ie lots of unrest, civic violence, strikes etc so might be in equal measures fascinating and horrible.

I saw a programme a few years ago about a writer/journalist who drove this route in a Trabant and thought it would be great to cycle it.

Might have to do it in stages, though.

Top Bottom