Is everything cr#p nowadays ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gbb

Legendary Member
Not literally everything, but how much stuff now is just cr#p :sad:
White contiboard, for my bathroom top, replaced 6 months ago, the surface is just so cr#p..it looks cr#p.
Toilet seat, B&Q, not cheap...more or less the same, its deteriorated so quickly and the thing just wont bolt down anymore, it sits there skewed, annoying me.
Woodscrews with heads that shear off.
Kitchen worktop..brought in store some time ago wheni was doing my kitchen up..it didnt make it out of the carpark. Loading it in the car and noticed it wasnt bonded properly at the back. Took It straightback for a refund.
Fridges and freezers, even from 'reputable' manufacturers, with drawers that break as soon as look at them.
I just fabricated a porch in my garden with corrugated bronzed plastic sheet, £32 a go. The fixings ?..so short, you barely get 5mm of good anchorage.

So much stuff Is JUST fit for purpose..its getting ridiculous.

Yours are ?

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Things aren't made to last or to be repaired., its the throwaway life we live now. And no one cares if things last of not it seems. Kettles don't last.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
My only gripe is that Sainsbury's own brand beans don't make me fart at loudly as Asda own brand beans thus robbing me of the ability to startle squirrels at forty paces.

Doseone

Guru
This raises the question of the cliche that "you get what you pay for".

From my very limited sample, I think the answer is "sometimes" which actually doesn't help anyone.

I guess manufacturers are looking to protect margins in whatever way they can and one of the ways is to cut a few corners in materials or quality without lowering the price. There is also a normalization (probably not even a real word) that some stuff that you buy will have to be taken back because it's cr@p - we just come to accept that.

MarkF

Guru
Was talking about this today, it's bizarre, companies are contracted to make cheap crappy "stuff", it's sold in £ shops, Wilko's , B&Q and wherever, it's sold, has a lifespan of minutes then goes into landfill, then you need more "stuff". Try buying can opener at supermarket that does not collapse into shock & pieces when confronted with a can.

Bosch washing machine lasted us 8 years, it went kaput, it was Xmas, I needed a washing maching asap, didn't have time to research, I bought a "Russel Hobbs" from Asda, was it bollocks made my Russell Hobbs, a name taken to befuddle middle aged oiks like me, it was made my Pim Pan Inc in Sihanoukville. It lasted 3 weeks! It's replacement, 3 months............

Last edited:

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
I always understood "if you buy cheap, you buy twice". But it seems you have to buy wise and be lucky to have stuff last. A couple of years ago we bought an airbed from a well known 'French camping gas cooker company'. We've used it less than half a dozen times but it had a leek that I couldn't find. I had to throw it away and buy a new one for this weekend. Only spent £15 on new one as we've wasted money on £30 - £40 ones that have lasted even less. Anyone know what is the best airbed???????????????

Top Bottom