Is everything cr#p nowadays ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
I always understood "if you buy cheap, you buy twice". But it seems you have to buy wise and be lucky to have stuff last. A couple of years ago we bought an airbed from a well known 'French camping gas cooker company'. We've used it less than half a dozen times but it had a leek that I couldn't find. I had to throw it away and buy a new one for this weekend. Only spent £15 on new one as we've wasted money on £30 - £40 ones that have lasted even less. Anyone know what is the best airbed???????????????

The one that doesn't leak?

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
The one that doesn't leak?
Very funny :laugh: :banghead:

JoeyB

Go on, tilt your head!
Aaaarrrgh can openers….do my head in! I have tuna everyday for lunch, a can opener is important to me. The usual chunky handled things you get never last, I've resorted back to the thin weedy looking old school opener, its slow and sometimes has a paddy but by and large it works and gets the job done.

MarkF

Guru
You do get what you pay for, on the other hand, sometimes you don't. Some manufacturers just take the mick

What manufacturers though? They have stopped making anything yonks ago and now license their names (brands) to Pim Pam Inc in Sihanoukville, or Albert Bickerdyke Imports Inc in Barnsley, I haven't a friggin clue what's going on, thank god my scooter was made by Vespa, in steel, in Italy, in 1962, I'll never need another.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
What manufacturers though? They have stopped making anything yonks ago and now license their names to Pim Pam Inc in Sihanoukville, or Albert Bickerdyke Imports Inc in Barnsley, I haven't a friggin clue what's going on, thank god my scooter was made by Vespa, in steel, in Italy in 1962, I'll never need another.

Exactly. Everything is now made in china, Taiwan, hong kong. Make it cheap, throw away and buy new one

OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
The porch, if thats the right term I just made, 2.4 mtr x 3 mtr over the patio, cost £200 for materials and a day of my time. Hopefully it will last 10 years. Prior to that we were buying a gazebo almost every year, costing from £50 to £80 each...just rubbish construction. We had a brilliant one some years ago, wasnt expensive, lasted ages, strong, looked good...you just cant buy one like that anymore without spending a fortune. It seems a major chinese manufacturer turned a cr#p one out by the millions very cheaply...and every shop stocked them..destroying the competition.

Exactly. Everything is now made in china, Taiwan, hong kong. Make it cheap, throw away and buy new one

Ah yes, the "blame the cheap shíte from the Orient" view as favoured by the Daily Mail

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I used to have a wooden toilet seat until one of my pi$$ed up fat friends landed on it too hard and broke it. Bought one for £3.50 from Wilkos... a cheap bit of thin plastic but it's lasted a good 7 or 8 years... and it doesn't slam onto the porcelain because there's no weight to it. Only down side is it bites if I've got a good book on the go :whistle:

Black computer keyboards... had loads of 'em and having guitar player's nails on my left hand means the A, E, R, T, D, paint wears off in literally weeks, and the old cream/white ones are hard to come by these days.

LSD also ain't what it used to be either... back in the 60's I'd be up for days on half a tab, but the sh!t the kids are selling these days is just crap... and don't even get me started on crack cocaine... it's not even addictive these days :crazy:

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
DeWalt chop saw , biggest one they do . Lasted just out of warranty and new motor needed £200 repair bill .
Clarke 100L 3HP compressor ( ideal for heave duty spraying ) lasted 2 years ( 30 windows and 10 doors , not heavy duty work ) Expecting a £200 repair bill
Wadkin Bursgreen spindle moulder . 60+ years old . Bloke down the road welded it for £50 , should last another 60 years .

Top Bottom