Is everything cr#p nowadays ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
I suppose it all boils down to what we as consumers are prepared to pay for things. Buy cheap, get cheap, but buying expensive is no guarantee, so its a problem no matter what we do.

We had a bulb in the back bedroom that lasted over 25 years to my knowledge, the replacements last all of 6 months, though the newer energy savers do seem a little better.

Globalti

Legendary Member
It's all our fault; we compare goods in the shop and we buy the cheapest because "it will do the job". This encourages cheap goods made down to a price, usually in China, to come into the country.

It's the bane of my life at work; customers say "I can get the same thing cheaper from China or India" and it ends up costing them more than my quality product because mine is more concentrated and can be used at a lower dosage, meaning they can buy less and they aren't shipping diluent. The diluent also has a price, which they are paying. When you tell then that if they were bottling cola they wouldn't ship cola from the US, they would ship a concentrate, the penny sometimes drops but some are too ill-educated to understand even that.

Venod

Eh up
We had a bulb in the back bedroom that lasted over 25 years to my knowledge, the replacements last all of 6 months, though the newer energy savers do seem a little better.

Am I the only person disappointed with the new energy saving bulbs ? the old bulbs lasted a reasonable time, the new ones ( supposed to last longer ) last about the same.

Last edited:

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
I suppose it all boils down to what we as consumers are prepared to pay for things.
This is the crux of it. I have a bathroom, kitchen and tile showroom and I have daily conversations with people explaining what the differences are in how baths, pottery, kitchens, tiles etc etc are made and how that affects the longevity, quality and frequently (although not always) the price. However it is often the case that people don't believe you, even when I am actually showing people samples and displays to demonstrate the differences I will still have people telling me that a bath is a bath, and that's it. As a quick example one of my suppliers has recently started selling towel warmers which are particularly cheap, I asked them why and they told me that it was because sales of the more expensive ones had fallen drastically because of the likes of B&Q and Screwfix selling towel warmers for next to nothing. However the BTU on the replacement towel warmers is pathetic, but when you explain to people why they need a towel warmer with a decent BTU which has actually been calculated, they often don't believe you!! So in summary, you can get decent stuff, not everything is crap, but do some research and speak to someone that actually knows something about the products, preferably your small independent retailer.

ayceejay

Guru
My misses' brother-in-law, married to her sister for 35 years, has always done the vacuuming at home.

Recently he told his wife that they needed a new vacuum cleaner as the 'old' one wasn't working properly.

She asked him if the bag needed changing.

He replied 'A bag!? Has the vacuum cleaner got a bag?' :eek:

:laugh:
See, even husbands are crap these days

SteCenturion

I am your Father
Bikes or bicycles if you wish.

Many seem to be manufactured brilliantly these days.

Great quality even at the lower end

A new steel revolution with custom builders trying to be the best they can be.

Titanium wizards & carbon demi gods.

Have we ever had it so good in cycling ??

Top Bottom