Is it snobby to snub Aldi

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Onthedrops

Veteran
As we are almost all aware Aldi will be having their cycling event this coming Thursday.

I've checked out what they have to offer and quite frankly am not at all tempted by any of the clothing offered on this one.
I've bought kit from there in the past, some good (nice short sleeve jersey in the past) and some bad (tights with a bizarrely positioned pad and some crap arm and leg warmers. Not to mention an ill fitting winter jersey and also fell for the commuting over trousers - never worn)

Undecided on the overshoes on offer but might get a couple of helmet lights for the commute on the old bike. Other than that, nowt much else grabs me. I have some pretty decent kit but do wear the Aldi jersey still so no real snobbery there.

Thoughts? Tat, or reasonably good gear for the price?

Big Andy

Über Member
Cant comment on the clothing as none of it is big enough for me. Apart from the gloves.
Got my bike stand from them though. £14 well spent, some of the "extra" lighting is good for the price too.

OP
OP
Onthedrops

Onthedrops

Veteran
I have two pairs of padded trousers. One has three miles on the clock, 1 wash; and the other is still in the wrapper.
Now three years old and no sign of wear. :okay:

Paul G

Unfortunately my tights didn't make it to the washer. They were unceremoniously binned after the first ride. Had to keep stopping and rearranging the old undercarriage due to the weirdly positioned pad!

I bought a pair of the spd trainers about 4 years ago and they are still going strong, only used on the turbo but have covered '000's of virtual miles

U

User6179

As we are almost all aware Aldi will be having their cycling event this coming Thursday.

I've checked out what they have to offer and quite frankly am not at all tempted by any of the clothing offered on this one.
I've bought kit from there in the past, some good (nice short sleeve jersey in the past) and some bad (tights with a bizarrely positioned pad and some crap arm and leg warmers. Not to mention an ill fitting winter jersey and also fell for the commuting over trousers - never worn)

Undecided on the overshoes on offer but might get a couple of helmet lights for the commute on the old bike. Other than that, nowt much else grabs me. I have some pretty decent kit but do wear the Aldi jersey still so no real snobbery there.

Thoughts? Tat, or reasonably good gear for the price?

Had a quick look on the Aldi website and I don't think I would take any of the stuff they are selling if they were giving it away free and I have bought a few things in the past from them .

Nothing to do with being snobby , just poor value .

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I have to say I think the thread title is odd.

On the topic Aldi have both bargains and tat across their entire range of Special Buys. It's a case of picking what suits you.

I shall be getting socks as I find them good for both walking and cycling. I got a very good base layer/compression layer last autumn and have had good jackets in the past.

Last autumn I bought lights as I wanted a cheap set I could leave on the bike for emergencies. They were awful. The padded bib longs I returned after trying on - the pad was badly positioned.

I wear high quality club gear for 99% of what I need but still think it's worth browsing Aldi.

Firestorm

Veteran
Only snobby if you dismiss them because they are Aldi and for no other reason.
personally I have loads of their stuff but i got it when I was bigger and starting out. As I am losing weight I am replacing it gradually with gear I find more comfortable for longer rides and leaving the rest for the gym bikes.
that said, I still use the shoes all the time as well as the mitts , socks, gas cannisters , cleaning stuff.
the bike rack and the maintenance stand ate good value too.

Jimidh

Veteran
It's not snobby to want decent kit.

I don't have an Aldi close by and therefore not interested but I would buy from there if their kit was any good but by the sound of it that doesn't seem to be the case.

Top Bottom