Is it the wrong or right time of year to....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi! I joined the cycle to work scheme in July by purchasing a mountain bike. I have fallen in love with biking now and would love to buy a road bike. Now thing is, Winter is on it's way so my time on a road bike would be limited over the coming months, but, there are bargains to be had I think! My dilemma is: should I wait until spring or buy one now that is on offer? I have my sights set on one but worry if I don't take the plunge now, I will miss out! Or are there good offers in Spring to be had too?

maltloaf

There are some good bargains to be had at this time of year on the outgoing models. My bike is 2013 spec and apart from the paint colour you wouldn't know it from the 2014 edition. The difference was I paid £200 less in October last year.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Plenty of dry sunny days in autumn and winter (fingers crossed) so if you are definitely going to buy anyway then I would say do it and do it now. Bag yourself a bargain high spec bike and feel good about the saving for years to come. A current model bike is only current for about 6 months anyway and we don't buy bikes as fashion accessories but to enjoy over a few years or longer. I bought my road bike in the autumn a few years ago and still love kicking the backsides of the fashion victims that rush out to buy the latest bike every year but can't ride up a hill for toffee!

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Now is a good time to buy a road bike but it will soon become cold and slippery, which is not a good time to ride one. Buy one now and get out on those crisp, dry days.

Steve

Jimmy Doug

If you know what's good for you ...
There's nothing like cycling on a freezing cold day! I love seeing the frosty scenery whooshing past, the encounters with nocturnal creatures like owls that you don't see in the summer, the feeling of adventure! Just dress up properly and you'll be surprised how great cycling in the winter can be - but that equipment can come at quite a cost, so be warned. However, always check the forecast and if there's any possibility of black ice or snow, don't go out. I found out the hard way ...!

Globalti

Legendary Member
Good advice above. Buy a 2013 model now and don't be afraid to haggle with shopkeepers. Just avoid riding when the road has been salted as that will wreck your nice bike.

JoeyB

Go on, tilt your head!
I bought my road bike around this time of year, I think I put more mileage on it over the winter months than I did the following summer! It certainly made the spring / summer miles easier though.

Jimmy Doug

The worst thing about winter is having to carry so much stuff around! I take several pairs of gloves (an inner, outer, gloves for moderate cold, gloves for rain), usually one jersey is enough but if it's really cold a fleece too, two pairs of socks, two different overshoes (because the warmer ones are uncomfortable if it isn't cold enough for them), a buff, a balaclava (just in case) ... No wonder it's physically harder work to cycle in the winter!

bpsmith

Veteran
Good advice above. Buy a 2013 model now and don't be afraid to haggle with shopkeepers. Just avoid riding when the road has been salted as that will wreck your nice bike.

Actually buy a 2014 bike right now, for a bargain, as a lot of 2015 models are already out!

Globalti

Legendary Member
The worst thing about winter is having to carry so much stuff around! I take several pairs of gloves (an inner, outer, gloves for moderate cold, gloves for rain), usually one jersey is enough but if it's really cold a fleece too, two pairs of socks, two different overshoes (because the warmer ones are uncomfortable if it isn't cold enough for them), a buff, a balaclava (just in case) ... No wonder it's physically harder work to cycle in the winter!

Blimey! I seldom carry spare clothing, I just try to anticipate the weather and get it right from the start. If rain is possible I carry my Castelli rain top in a pocket but that's all.

Jimmy Doug

Blimey! I seldom carry spare clothing, I just try to anticipate the weather and get it right from the start. If rain is possible I carry my Castelli rain top in a pocket but that's all.

My commute is 30kms. When it's really cold I start off with my warm gloves, but after a while (and a climb) I find my hands are too hot - hence the need for a change of gloves. With my feet, it's the opposite. Sometimes I find that it's colder than I thought and I need to change my overshoes for warmer ones, or in the evening it's not as cold as it was in the morning. It's the same with the fleece too. When the temperature drops to near freezing I need to wear it at the start of my journey, but a few miles later it becomes too hot and a simple jersey is enough. It's a lot of palaver, I know, but years and years of cycling commuting have taught me that I need to be ready for anything. Oh - and I forgot my waterproofs! The last thing you need on a cold day is to get wet!

byegad

Legendary Member
A great time to buy is coming up. The winter sale is a great time to pick up the last of this year's model at a discount.

Top Bottom