Is McDonald's under-rated as a bike stop?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I think there's a lot going for McDonald's as a bike stop.

Some mixed views in the Friday's Cambridge night ride thread, so rather than hijack that here's a thread for anyone wanting to praise - or slate - McD's.

My experiences have been mostly positive.

Leaving aside the food for a moment, the staff are usually welcoming, no problem with using the toilet even if you don't buy anything, and the same goes for the wi-fi.

Most of the McD's I've been to have enough street furniture outside to lock the bike, and part of it is usually under cover.

The coffee is cheap and good.

Some of the cold pop drinks are a bit variable.

I'm partial to Diet Coke, but usually have something else in McDonald's.

Even though it's supposed the be the Real Thing, it doesn't always taste like it.

The food menu is ever-expanding, but I've only tried the more traditional stuff.

Not mad keen on the burgers, they do a job if needed.

I genuinely like the breakfast McMuffins.

Not tried much of the sweet stuff, although I did have a donut once which was nice enough.

On balance, I'm lovin' it - what are your thoughts on McDonald's?

Like most things, it has a time and a place in moderation.

I do have the odd McDonalds, maybe after a few beers on the way home. Not sure it's bike food as not convinced it will replace the energy I'd need.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
No. Crap in most regards: locations tend to be motorist, any bike parking tends to be substandard and uncovered (Locking to street furniture? How much do you hate your bike? That's last resort stuff), drink selection is limited, cakes are oversweet prefab pap, it's overpackaged and I see too much of their litter on my rides.

Give me a farm shop or roadside cafe any time. Even the coffee chains and KFC are better than MacDonald's and I don't like them much.

G3CWI

Veteran
I struggle to imagine a club ride stopping at one but they do stop at Costas, so why not? In my opinion, McD's food is better than the "airline-style" food at Costas.

jay clock

Massive member
I do like a maccy dee on occasions but their coffee is crap. I like a strong Americano with space for plenty of cold milk. Very hard to get at McDonalds

Venod

Eh up
There is one right beside the TPT in Barnsley that I use, as the OP says the coffee's good, I usually have the wrap of the day, its not spectacular food but it fills a spot, I lock the bike to the fence or a table outside where it can be seen clearly, I also use the one by the M62 near Goole and sometimes the one in Scunthorpe when I do a Humber Bridge ride, you know what to expect and they are always open, I have on more than one occasion ridden out to cafe's to find them shut.

Same same, I suppose, but I prefer Burger King to McDonalds.

If you can get out before the seniors 'come to life', garden centres make for ideal stops mid-morning or afternoon.

They're generally clean, friendly, relaxed, good and varied menus, safe and welcoming.

Top Bottom