Is ProCycling Rascist ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
What's "rascist"?:biggrin:

The sport or the magazine?

Have you seen the other thread on those Kenyans who belted up Alpe D'Huez?

How many black riders are in the pro peleton?

How many black riders in your club for that matter?

OP
OP
Y

yenrod

cheadle hulme said:
The sport or the magazine?

Have you seen the other thread on those Kenyans who belted up Alpe D'Huez?

How many black riders are in the pro peleton?

How many black riders in your club for that matter
?

This is what I mean cheadle..

Chrisz

Über Member
If you get a chance, speak to this guy about racism in the peleton

20080205_DE_VER02_MAURICE_BURTON.jpg

I had a good long chat with him after I met him one year on the L2B ride - some fascinating stories, and some sad examples of intolerance in the sport :biggrin:

When I used to do a lot of TTs (Kent & Sussex) I was always the only non-white around - never saw another black face in the whole time - not even at the BUSA Championships.

However, the same can be said for several other sports including motorsports, equestrian and watersports (yes, there are always exceptions) - all under-represented by ethnic minorities.

Does this make the sports racist? Possibly, but one has to take into account socio-economic factors and a lack of role models.

dodgy

I wish people would stop bitching about role models, if you like cycling, go buy a bike and ride it. If some ethnic groups don't feel comfortable riding a bike because there hasn't been a black winner of the TdeF, then I think that's pathetic.

OP
OP
Y

yenrod

dodgy said:
I wish people would stop bitching about role models, if you like cycling, go buy a bike and ride it. If some ethnic groups don't feel comfortable riding a bike because there hasn't been a black winner of the TdeF, then I think that's pathetic.

Chill out Dodgy..s'only a discussion !

colly

Re member eR
dodgy said:

I don't see any bitching about anything so far in this thread:wacko:

Chrisz

Über Member
dodgy said:

I wasn't bitching mate - it was merely an observation. Certain sports are not seen as 'cool' within certain ethnic minorities - part of this may be because there are no role models to follow/emulate.

Certainly within inner city areas some spots are seen as being for 'whites' or for 'rich' 'posh' 'middle-classes' etc. This is not a winge, merely an observation.

Personally I have never much worried about role models - I enjoy cycling, sailing, watersports, motorsports, skiing etc. because I enjoy them - not because I am trying to copy someone else but merely for the fun/thrill of it all :evil:

Skip Madness

Like cheadle hulme, I presumed this thread was about the magazine.

As for black riders, there certainly aren't many at the top level - didn't Rahsaan Bahati ride the Tour of Britain this year? Yohann Gene is still at Bouygues Telecom, too.

There are more black/mixed-race women, I think, although even then not many. The three Fernandes sisters, Adriana Lovera, Daniely García, Karelia Machado. Venezuelans and Brazilians, basically. I can't think of any others who have competed in Europe.

Dave5N

Über Member
Skip Madness said:
Like cheadle hulme, I presumed this thread was about the magazine.

As for black riders, there certainly aren't many at the top level - didn't Rahsaan Bahati ride the Tour of Britain this year? Yohann Gene is still at Bouygues Telecom, too.

There are more black/mixed-race women, I think, although even then not many. The three Fernandes sisters, Adriana Lovera, Daniely García, Karelia Machado. Venezuelans and Brazilians, basically. I can't think of any others who have competed in Europe.

What about Gregory Bauge?

dodgy

Just to clarify again, I'm not saying people in this thread are bitching or whining. I'm saying that it's the usual tosh that is trotted out to explain poor take up from ethnic minorities for sports such as cycling. I didn't take up cycling because of role models, when I started riding I did so because I was amazed at the technology improvements in MTBs in 1990/1991 (compared to my bikes as a child). I didn't ride because of Tommy Simpson or because of Fausto Coppi (I'm also not Italian). The role model thing is bollocks, frankly.
There are lots of things I enjoy doing that are no doubt mastered by ethnic minorities, I used to do some middle distance and cross country running at school, I didn't do it because I was looking up to some bloke who was good at it - if he was white or black, it wouldn't have mattered to me.
That is my point, it isn't levelled at anyone in this thread, it's aimed more at cycling authorities who use it as an explanation of poor take up.
If you enjoy it, do it.
Dave.

Top Bottom