Is ProCycling Rascist ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
Let's be fair about this. Cycling isn't racist.

The lack of take up on the part of African cyclists has got to be money.

As a nation Kenya are good at athletics/running because they are natural athletes and it doesn't cost the earth to buy a pair of trainers.

In a way, there is little 'grass roots' cycle sport in Kenya because of the initial costs involved for a cyclist to get equipped - they just don't have the cash/facilities/clubs we have in the 'western' world.

That is not saying there aren't talented riders in Kenya/Africa, because there are, they just don't have the funding (yet) to make it big.

Besides, I am going to start up a Nepalese TDF team, and can those boys climb!!

Can you imagine if British Cycling could work with some of the raw talent that must be present in Kenya, Ethiopia etc, there'd be top class black riders in no time.

Cycling is a fairly expensive sport though, which may explain some of the white middle class bias in this country.

I did see a tasty chinese girl at a sportive once though. not sure whether she was British or a student but she looked like she knew what she was doing. Can't remember seeing any other non white peole on road bikes though.

Skip Madness

ComedyPilot said:

That is not saying there aren't talented riders in Kenya/Africa, because there are, they just don't have the funding (yet) to make it big.
It is surprising, though, that given that the Tour du Faso is organised by ASO and has lots of Europeans competing in it, the Africans who do well in it and other well-rated west-African races (I am thinking of Rabaki Jérémie Ouedraogo and Abdul Wahab Sawadogo, mainly, although you could also say Gueswendé Sawadogo) have never been given a chance in Europe. I know none of them are youngsters any more, but they have been winning races for many years.

Shanaze Reade springs to mind. Not road though, perhaps BMX has more of the cool factor?

Because there aren't many non-white faces in the peloton doesn't automatically make the sport racist. You need to look deeper into why there aren't many before you make that kind of sweeping assertion.

Chrisz

Über Member
ComedyPilot said:

As a nation Kenya are good at athletics/running because they are natural athletes and it doesn't cost the earth to buy a pair of trainers.

In a way, there is little 'grass roots' cycle sport in Kenya because of the initial costs involved for a cyclist to get equipped - they just don't have the cash/facilities/clubs we have in the 'western' world.

Besides, I am going to start up a Nepalese TDF team, and can those boys climb!!

As I said - socio-economic factors :evil:

Chrisz

Über Member
dodgy said:
J..............I'm saying that it's the usual tosh that is trotted out to explain poor take up from ethnic minorities for sports such as cycling. ............................I didn't take up cycling because of role models, ................ The role model thing is bollocks, frankly.

Sorry Dave, but without wishing to be rude - that is a load of twaddle!!!

For any member of a group to take up any activity, that activity has to be seen as acceptable by the group. Someone has to set the norms.

If there is no member form a particular group (be it ethninc, gender, class, religion, economic status or whatever) then it is very hard for other members of that same group to make the breakthrough.

If you think this is bollox, just have a look at some of the problems faced by women trying to take up Rugby (as a current example) - very few role models and a stereotype to get over. Look at women's football too.

I am not claiming that the sport (cycling) (or the mag) is racist, simply that there are barriers to be overcome (just like most sports) by minorities wishing to participate.

In the same way, round the world sailing could be seen as class biased because there are no working class folk competing - is this because it is an elitist sport or is it because the working class person does not have the financial resources or the opportunity (costal location etc.) to participate?

Many sports carry a set of stereotyped characteristics for performers/participants - not simple to overturn. Sports (and parts of the population) need role models to prove that they CAN achieve.

Finally, I do not claim that a lack of role models is the only reason that minorities do not take part - but it is an important factor.

Cheers, Chris :evil:

Chrisz

Über Member
A final point,

Cycling as a sport/competitive activity is a minority activity (compare participation rates to football!!) - ethingc minorities are, by very definition, minorities. Thus, it is not really surprising to see that minorities are almost non-existent in a minority sport :evil:

dodgy

I couldn't care less about rugby to be honest, even less about women's rugby. And your post doesn't come across as rude, to me anyway :evil:
If people feel they need a role model, then the problem is not the lack of role models, it's the lack of gumption to give something a try without the comfort blanket of a role model in the same ethnic pigeon hole as you.

dave.

Chrisz

Über Member
dodgy said:
If people feel they need a role model, then the problem is not the lack of role models, it's the lack of gumption to give something a try without the comfort blanket of a role model in the same ethnic pigeon hole as you.

dave.

Easily said for some - not so easy when one lives in a poor, inner-city area where gang culture rules and any action or activity that complies with white, middle-class expectations is frowned upon (or worse)!

colly

Re member eR
dodgy said:
I couldn't care less about rugby to be honest, even less about women's rugby. And your post doesn't come across as rude, to me anyway :evil:

dave.

I'm not sure it is like that though. Loads of people get into sports/activities/whatever not because they see it and say to themselves.............'I fancy that I'll have a go'..........but simply because someone they know does it and they tag along or are invited along. It could be anything not just sports.
It follows that the more people of a particular grouping that you belong to (could be ethnicity, school, other clubs) who are into whatever it is then the more likely it is you will be dragged or encouraged into it also.
That's not to say many newcomers to cycling or whatever don't just start doing it because they simply 'like the idea'.

I took up cycling when I was in my early 40's after a mate suggested it to me because I had to stop running because of knee problems. He loaned me an old bike and I got hooked.

Dave5N

Über Member
colly said:
I'm not sure it is like that though. Loads of people get into sports/activities/whatever not because they see it and say to themselves.............'I fancy that I'll have a go'..........but simply because someone they know does it and they tag along or are invited along. It could be anything not just sports.
It follows that the more people of a particular grouping that you belong to (could be ethnicity, school, other clubs) who are into whatever it is then the more likely it is you will be dragged or encouraged into it also.
That's not to say many newcomers to cycling or whatever don't just start doing it because they simply 'like the idea'.

I took up cycling when I was in my early 40's after a mate suggested it to me because I had to stop running because of knee problems. He loaned me an old bike and I got hooked.

We have 48 Under 12 members at my club. The very vast majority have got involved because a friend or relative etc has introduced them.

I can only think of 2 or 3 who have sought us out and approached us without previously knowing anyone at the club.

Top Bottom