Is ProCycling Rascist ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
It seems interesting to me that the majority of posts on here immediately think of 'Black' an no other ethnic minority.

Skip Madness

Isn't that because someone brought up the Kenyans who rode Alpe d'Huez first? It just followed from there.

It is accurate to say that top-level cycling is poorly represented by virtually all ethnic minorities, although you can find exceptions for most groups. Where the lack of minority riders is quite marked is in the success of Colombians and Venezuelans in Europe - virtually all white in men's racing despite those countries' high numbers of black and native people.

De Sisti

Veteran
;)
cheadle hulme said:
Can you imagine if British Cycling could work with some of the raw talent that must be present in Kenya, Ethiopia etc, there'd be top class black riders in no time.

You missed me at recent editions of the Manchester 100 then (I wore no. 1). I'll be at the Cheshire Cat sportive in March. :blush: :ohmy:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
There are plenty of Black and Asian cylists on the L2B for instance, I first cycled it with a Sri-Lankan guy in 1982 azndf there were some blinging black club riders back then, so they've been around for some time just not necessarily in big numbers. Why there aren't more I'm not sure. Some years ago on C+ there was a similar thread and IIRC it was agreed that in all "outbound" style pursuits, hikong, canoeing, camping etc there were fairly few people form the UK's ethnic minorities, but I'm certain that is changing albeit slowly. However in athletics there is a very high percentage.
Whether it's a class, money, cultural issue I do think it's changing.

Noodley

Just think back to the early 1970s and how many well-known black football players there were in the UK. You could just about count them on one hand: Laurie Cuningham, Cyril Regis, Viv Anderson, Brendan Batson, Luther Blissett are the one's who spring to mind for me.

Then look at the 1980's....

Mind you, there are not too many of them transferred into management. So maybe these are the next barriers to be broken down....

...IMO the same is true about pro cycling. Hopefully the few we can count on one hand at present will transfer into a 1980s-style explosion in the next decade. But without the same hairstyles and short shorts :tongue:

edit - here's an interesting (well I thought it was anyway) article I found after making my post:
http://www.le.ac.uk/fo/resources/factsheets/fs4.html

You could easily look at the athletics finals at the Olympics and ask 'is international sprinting racist?' because of the lack of white/brown/yellow faces.

Maander - fair point, we do seem to be stuck on 'black' as the epitome of BME participants. However looking at football, as described by Noodley, there has been a marked rise in the number of black players. They still get racist abuse in some quarters though, especially from certain foreign fans. And there's still the question of why there aren't more British Asian players. Cricket too, very few players from a non-white background which is odd considering the importance of cricket in countries like the West Indies, India and Pakistan.

If you define the problem as people of BME origin being excluded, either deliberately or by other circumstances, then I don't think cycling has a problem. It's just not very popular. Other more high profile sports have much more of a problem in that respect.

peanut

an example of an excellent roadie with bags of talent is Dave Clarke who has been without a Team and sponsor for several years.
I only know of him because I came by one of his old framesets this year.
He was second in the Nat hill climb championships in 2006 and 2007 . very unlucky not to have won.

here's an interesting interview with Dave in 2007 where he talks about prejudice and role models etc
http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/a_minute_with_dave_clarke_article_147872.html

another article when he beat Dobbin in the Nat Hill climb championships.
http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news...lifax_road_club_hillclimb_article_150613.html

East Midlands road race win
http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/we...orts2007/20070603_East_Midlands_RR_Champs.asp

Dave5N

Über Member
Fab Foodie said:
There are plenty of Black and Asian cylists on the L2B for instance, I first cycled it with a Sri-Lankan guy in 1982 azndf there were some blinging black club riders back then, so they've been around for some time just not necessarily in big numbers. Why there aren't more I'm not sure. Some years ago on C+ there was a similar thread and IIRC it was agreed that in all "outbound" style pursuits, hikong, canoeing, camping etc there were fairly few people form the UK's ethnic minorities, but I'm certain that is changing albeit slowly. However in athletics there is a very high percentage.
Whether it's a class, money, cultural issue I do think it's changing.

Is it a city v country thing? BME communities tend to be in cities - fewer opportunities for/less introduction to outbound pusuits?

mr-marty-martin

i only no one bloke who is a black rider ( and he's pritty good )

You missed me at recent editions of the Manchester 100 then (I wore no. 1). I'll be at the Cheshire Cat sportive in March. :ohmy: :sad:[/quote]

I'll be at the Cheshire Cat too!

Will you be easy to spot? :sad:

De Sisti

Veteran
cheadle hulme said:
I'll be at the Cheshire Cat too!

Will you be easy to spot? ;)

Errrr... yes I suppose so. Don't know what bike I'll be riding or what I'll be wearing though.:laugh::becool:

brontesorearse

Perhaps there are more minority riders on CC than people might think ?

I, for one, might be the only rider in south wales, that i know of ,who is half welsh ,half jordanian ?

Who knows?

Top Bottom