Is ProCycling Rascist ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

De Sisti

Veteran
cheadle hulme said:
You missed me at recent editions of the Manchester 100 then (I wore no. 1). I'll be at the Cheshire Cat sportive in March. :biggrin: :biggrin:

I'll be at the Cheshire Cat too!

Will you be easy to spot? :biggrin:[/quote]

The club's annual trip to Majorca (this year Mar 28 - Apr 4) has meant that I
won't be seeing you at the Cheshire Cat. It was a tough choice though, but the
chance of better weather overseas (although not guaranteed) or a tough UK sportive, well, I had to think long and hard about it.:smile:
There will be some big climbs in Majorca to tackle though. :smile:

You will however be able to spot me at the Etape Caledonia, Dragon Ride, the Marmotte
and the Manchester 100. Don't be shy, come and have a word.

Google "Major Taylor"

He was a black cyclist at the turn of the Century. He DID overcome prejudices and racism at that time, (seven world records in 1889) but his legacy is amazing.

The "Major Taylor Association" is also an umbrella for many black (and mixed) cycling organizations.

jimboalee

I commuted regularly into the centre of Birmingham back in the nineties.

A lot of mornings, this black chap would come cruising past me like I was standing still.
One morning I decided if he showed, I would try to follow. He showed and I accelerated to his pace. He was riding an old hi-tensile steel Raleigh with the rear gear cable hanging off - ie he was stuck in top. He had legs like tree trunks and I couldn't keep with him after five miles.

What would he have been like on a lightweight???? A missed talent.

rchomba

I picked up cycling about 3 years ago because I needed some exercise.I bought a halford special and enjoyed riding so much but got fed up of being left behind by everyone else . So i bought a proper road bike and have not looked back since.
I am black and I do not need a role model to show me the way. My role model is my Dad and he does not ride. The only real reason I can see is that, bikes are very expensive and most people just cannot afford them.. I did try out for a local club but lost interest as they were not very welcoming. They were very much after the elite rider which I clearly was not. Maybe if I find a club not obsessed wiith elitism, I might join. Meanwhile I carry on riding alone and have made many good friends along the road.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
rchomba said:
I picked up cycling about 3 years ago because I needed some exercise.I bought a halford special and enjoyed riding so much but got fed up of being left behind by everyone else . So i bought a proper road bike and have not looked back since.
I am black and I do not need a role model to show me the way. My role model is my Dad and he does not ride. The only real reason I can see is that, bikes are very expensive and most people just cannot afford them.. I did try out for a local club but lost interest as they were not very welcoming. They were very much after the elite rider which I clearly was not. Maybe if I find a club not obsessed wiith elitism, I might join. Meanwhile I carry on riding alone and have made many good friends along the road.

some clubs are like that to all newcomers, so i'm hoping that it wasn't racism. there seem to be very few black riders around. i did the cheshire cat a few years ago, and saw one black face the whole day.

personally i don't care if black people ride bikes or not, any more than i fret over whether white people do. i prefer to judge a cyclist i don't know on his cycling, and one i do know on his character. race isn't important to me.

montage

God Almighty
The lack of black pro cyclists is most likely because they didn't have cycling pushed onto them by pushy parents at an early age.

rchomba

Racism is the easy option to go for. I do not care what colour you are as long you enjoy your cycling. It is about the sport and nothing more. I did the Dragon Ride on Sunday the 14th june and I must say there were a fair few black people cycling but I did not see any Asians. Could this possibly be a cultural thing?

montage

God Almighty
Will1985 said:
Rahsaan Bahati is doing ok - came from a very unlikely background.

My point is how many black kids do you see who have carbon fiber forks on their bianchi before they are 10?

I know of a 6 year old kid with LODES of swish kit with HUGE parents (fat as you like)....and I think that it would be a shame if this kid made the pro peleton. I really don't like pushy parents.

zaid

Definately not a racism issue in my opinion.

I've been cycling everyday for a about a year and a half now (and loving it, even bought a Sunday bling bike this year) and never in that entire time have I ever seen another asian cyclist (there may be some, it's just that I haven't seen any, besides kids on bmx's etc). And all this in a City of 300,000+ asians.

My point is, that it's (possibly) mostly a cultural thing, where cars rule and are a symbol of prowess. I get some really strange glaring looks every day on the bike simply cos I'm asian and on a bike. But if I was 20 years younger, I may of thought about entering a local ameteur race or two, but sadly I'm about to turn 40 and don't think I'd be good enough any more.

Bottom line is, there's too few black and asian cyclist in everyday life, and like every sport, you have to be exceptionaly good to be a pro (and that goes for every race (no pun intended),

The only exception to this is when baby Lampard and baby Ferdinand get fast-tracked to a football academy when they're 10 yrs old or so. :tongue:

briank

You need to try the League of Veteran Racing Cyclists. (Just google LVRC).
There are quite a few who have a shot at it for the first time when they're past 40. (Course, you can also find yourself racing against those who were once very good: and if you find they give you a good thrashing, well they probably would have when you were both 25!)

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
rchomba said:
hang about! Is this the same rchomba that comes out on the FNRttC! I think you've been seduced in to club cycling matey!

You are, however, one of the very few black riders in the CTC in our part of the world. Which is a shame. If I knew how to do anything about it (other than relentless proseletysing) I would.

Top Bottom